2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Exhaust smoke...Valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Default Exhaust smoke...Valve cover?

I have a 95 eclipse and it's pretty clean. Although, i notice when i turn on the motor in the morning, a little bit of white smoke comes out. Also, my friend told me while i was driving and when i shifted a little smoke would come out. But...When the car is just sitting at idle their is no smoke...

I can see a little bit of oil coming out of the valve cover. It looks like it's come out of the middle lower screw. (You can see a bit of fresh oil after driving for a while)

Also, i notice their is some oil on the heat shield, which means it is coming from the valve cover screw i was talking about...

So, what do this mean? I need to replace a head gasket? Is this causing the smoke?

Also, is it hard to replace the gasket, should i have someone else do it? It doesn't look too hard, but maybe it is?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26.../nonamehhh.jpg

Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Default RE: Exhaust smoke...Valve cover?

its not a head gasket this is perfectlynormal for forced induction cars to do this

Old 01-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

its just a valve cover gasket that you need to replace. It is very cheap to do and very easy. Its typical of these cars for them as they get older. As far as the smoke, again normal of turbo cars that get older, they start to burn oil a bit

Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM

Alright, cool. So this means the valve cover gasket has nothing to do with the smoke...

Would it be a huge deal if i waited and didn't change the valve cover gasket for a while? Is it going to hurt anything?

Also, I'm getting a 1g BOV installed tomorrow. Although, i don't plan on getting a boost controller, just a down-pipe that deletes the cat going through my Thermal research and development exhaust...I also have an open air filter, but that's about it...

I've heard that i just can't get a boost controller and up the boost...I have a boost gauge, but haven't installed it yet. (I don't want to spend too much)

Is it even beneficial for me to put in the 1g BOV if i'm not getting a boost controller?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

sure because the stock BOV is terrible and sometimes cant even hold stock boost, and they always leak.

If the leak is bad for the valve cover gasket then yes i would do it when you get a chance. Your not gonna hurt to much by waiting but its so easy to do you might as well whenever you get a chance. And yes the valve cover gasket could also be part of the black smoke because they also can leak the oil into through the spark plug holes and into the valvetrain giving black smoke, but i dont think thats the main reason. Its probably mostly just the turbo and other minor leaks that cause that black smoke while shifting. My talon did smoke for overa year and i never really had any major problems.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 PM

It's not black, kind of a weird white color. Like i said, not a lot, but enough to see it smokes when i shift. Also, just a puff when i first start it in the morning. Sometimes it won't smoke though.

How easy is the valve cover gasket change?

What tool and size is it? Anything else i need to buy except the gasket? Do i just take the cover off? I assume the spark plugs have to come out and the pcv valve...

Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

The vc gasket is VERY easy to do, just dont over torque the bolts or you can risk cracking the vc. All you need is a 3/8 ratchet and 10mm socket.