2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Fuel Pump/ Filter issues???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Default RE: Fuel Pump/ Filter issues???

Today I had someone turn the ignition to ACC and nothing. No noise from the pump at all. I did find a Walbro 255 on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALBR...spagenameZWDVW

does anyone have experience with this brand? I'll also change the fuel filter since I'll be messing with the fuel system.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

was the car trying to turn over at all. Have you made sure its not a battery/ignition problem first.

If you do replace the pump dont get a 255. Only get the 190 from walbro

Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Can you do a pressure test? Also, it's winter time which means gas staions are getting the winter mix fuel in so maybe you got some bad gas...I know last year I got some gas in my dealership demo and my Jeep both the same day at the same gas station and they both ran like sh!tso I ran it out of them both and put some higher octane in the next tank and all was good after that...How about running some higher octane fuel in the next couple of tanks with some fuel system cleaner and see if that will work. Have you checked plugs and wires as well?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 PM

I get plenty of juice to the plugs. It does fire, and try to start. It would fire and run like garbage for a few seconds then just die. after a couple of minutes I could repeat the process with the same results. If I tried to start it up immediately after, it would not catch. It would jsut continually turn over.

I only run premium grade fuel (usually from the station at the end of my street), and I've not had any issues with my cars, tahoe, and mother-in-law's car. The station I mentioned does serve 106 octane race fuel, heh. I did put that in by accident when I first moved to Charlotte. It made my wife's 2000 accord run like a beast for a while.

What is the difference between the 255 and the 190? just curious. I will tune this car to +/-350 hp over time. Would the ability to have higher fuel flow be a benefit?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

the difference in the pump is the ammount of fuel that flows. And the problem your gonna have with the 255 is you will have bad fuel pressure issues making you need a fuel pressure regulator. I think for your goals the 190lph will be fine.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM

check your electrical connectors for the injectors, crank, and cam angle sensors. My car did the same thing and it was just a loose cable. I think the vacuum line popped off of the mdp sensor too, so a boost leak check wouldn't hurt

Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 AM

I installed the Walbro 190, and I still have the same issue. no power to the pump. I ran a test using the FP test connector behind the cruise unit. The FP fired right up, relieved. I tested the resistance on the ASD and FP relays...both read 70 which is normal. when I get home I'll run a jumper from the battery to the relay and check continuity. It should read Zero. I'll also change the Fuel filter.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:47 PM

I'm done. I've checked and tested everything I can think of. Pump, filter, pressure, ignition coil, timing....I can't put my finger on the issue. I can get it to run like absolute crap. It seems as though plug 1 and 3 are getting the proper spark, but 2 is getting very little and 4 gets nothing. Tomorrow I call the shop to have them come tow my car in. time and $$ should fix it.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM

shoulda done a compression test on it

Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

Dude... no power to the pump. Compression is NOT the issue here.

Did you ever smell a kind of rotten egg smell in the car? If so, that would be your ECU.

More than likely its the crank or camsensor.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump/ Filter issues???