2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

GS-T

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Default GS-T

Howdy,

I will be graduating from college in the spring and it's time to purchase a car. I have a job offer with a company that I've been interning with for the last 3 years. The salary isn't huge but it should be enough to comfortably afford a nice 99 GS-T.

What can I expect to be paying for a decent GST with average mileage (80's would be nice)? What kind of problems should I be on the look out for? What kind of boost am I looking at, and what octane fuel will run it? Gas mileage?

I have a lot of questions and I just started my search so I'm open to any information at all. Thanks

-Uncle Rudder

Old 10-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Default RE: GS-T

a nice 99 gst with around 80k miles you will prolly be lookin at around 7ish grand depending on where you live. some common problems with the 2g eclipses are crankwalk for starters, although its not that common of a problem, it does happen and it is a big issue. the stock block can hold around 20 psi with minor fuel upgrades, but you would also need a bigger turbo to handle that. with the stock turbo on your car, you will be able to put out around 9-12 psi max after you get a boost controller. as for fuel, never use below 92 octane on your car. 93 is preferred and you will be able to get probably around 25 highway mpg stock.

any other questions, just let us know

and welcome to the forums

Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 PM

Could you explain a bit more about this crankwalk? I've spent very limited time under the hood of a car.

Anything I should be looking for that might hint at a future problem when buying a car?

How are these GST's with relability, JD Power didn't give the '01's a very good rating however, if I am correct, that would be the 3rd generation and the 99 is the 2nd so I'm assuming a fair amount of differences between the two (besides looks).

Old 10-31-2007, 05:49 PM

Yes there is a huge difference between 2nd and 3rd gens,they literelly have nothing in common to one another other than being eclipses. as for crankwalk, just doa search on this forumand you will find more than enough info about it. The gst and gsx are not known for there reliability, but there performance. If you want a good reliable car than to be honest you might not want it. They are however a blast to drive and can the stock engine can handle around 350-400 whp.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 PM

Best is right... as reliability goes, take a look at Sebbas signature. 2G 4g63t (GST/GSX) is prolly not the way to go... I know my 2G is sitting in a garage right now unhappy as hell... and its got a 6bolt.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

Ding ding...genius.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

the problem with the 2g is that its starting to get old and they are either begining to rust or have alot of miles on them. But with the right maintenance they can be reliable as long as you take care of it. And it is a fun car to drive. If you dont plan on doing alot of modding they are fine to run 15psi daily on which is enough to keep up with the every day cars. The biggest problem with the 2g is that there are so many kids that buy these cars and just beat the **** out of them without taking care of them. So they get the rep of being unreliable