2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

GST Turbo problem-no boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Default GST Turbo problem-no boost

Bros, I have a 98 GST Spyder. Today I started having this problem of no boost building. The car is stock, and the needle of my stock boost guage goes only like halfway up as opposed to the normal upper position where the "+" sign is. Of course performance is seriously hampered, as you can imagine! Any ideas? Suggestions? Is my turbo on it's way out?
Thanks in advance?

Old 12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: GST Turbo problem-no boost

If you're noticing performance issues I'd say your turbo is already out to lunch... Probably in need of a rebuild... (The turbo not the engine)... What do the rest of you guys think?

Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 PM

when you first said it wasnt building boost frst thing tha came to mind was nylon line to the fac boost gauge has stretched n caused a miss read but if your noticen a serious perfromance decrease then i would think its your turbo also. how else has the cars performance been effected ?

Old 12-19-2005, 07:27 PM

do you hear the death whiiine yet. instead of normal spoolup sound it almost sounds like a cop sireen or something

Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 AM

You know, I haven't heard anything that sounds like the death......whatever sound it was yet
Domestickkilla, about the way the performance is hamperred, well, it just doesn't pull as hard at all, especially on 2nd, 3rd and up. On first it seems to be still about normal, eventhough it's noticably slower.

You huys think it may be some kind of pressure or boost leak. I friend of mine suggested that, makes sense to me. What you think?
Thanks

Old 12-20-2005, 02:27 AM

you could have a boost leak, check your stock W/G is it really stiff or can you manually move it rather easy

Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 AM

Is your turbo spoolin up all the way.or does it sound like something is in the turbo,or turbine,something from the road or whatever might be stuck in it.Thats what happened to my buddys turbo'd Civic,by the way it has 347 whp.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 AM

ORIGINAL: GST WNB

Is your turbo spoolin up all the way.or does it sound like something is in the turbo,or turbine,something from the road or whatever might be stuck in it.Thats what happened to my buddys turbo'd Civic,by the way it has 347 whp.
im starting to think its not his turbo or he would have heard it, but just incase pull your airbox off n put the car on jack stands and remove the lower IC pipe n look into the turbo n see if you can see any visible dmg and also check for shaftplay

Old 12-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah check and see if it's spinning freely. Also check all hose connections for a possible leak. And again also check your wastegate as well as the turbo itself for fre movement and shaftplay.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:10 PM

I had a boost leak from a crack in my BOV and the gauge showed normal boost PSI but the car felt like it was only runing like 10 rather than 19 and it was a dog I poped the hood had touch the BOV and when I moved it a surtain way you could here it hissing out air.

Quick Reply: GST Turbo problem-no boost