2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Head is about to come off.. but need some HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Default RE: Head is about to come off.. but need some HELP!

your water pump is fine. If your water pump went out, there is a little hole kinda near the top of it behind the pulley, and if your water pump went out, it would come out of that hole. And if its been coming out of that hole for a decent amount of time, there will be some kind of residue around the hole showing that stuff wascoming out.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 PM

well like i stated in a previous post the pin needs to be depressed because the belt will stretch and the pin will push on the tensioner so that you wont jump timing, and yes you can line the cam gears up manually. use a 17mm socket and you should be good to go. the marks should be straight across with the dowl pins on the upperside of the camshaft (going by memory from a 1g so it might be different) i can take pics if you want me to.

ALSO: if you do not compress the pin in the inside the tensioner youll go a couple hundred miles before your timing jumps because there will be to much slack in the belt.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Pics would be awesome. Thanks man. Because I noticed 2 marks on ONE cam gear.

So the pin pushes up against the tensioner to keep it in place? (sorry, i am just not getting it)

Old 12-28-2006, 07:31 PM

yes, if you look at the tensioner, the pin pushes on the idler tensioner pulley so that when your t-belt stretches, the tensioner will still keep the belt tight. you get what im saying? pics of the way
Name:  Picture.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  65.5 KB

Old 12-28-2006, 09:57 PM

In other words. The pin will push on the tensioner, even when the timing belt is on (kinda tight) and when I let go of the pin, it will just make it tighter... right? (I feel like an idiot)

By the way, thanks for the pic. The one cam gear on the left (on your pic) is off a little, just like mine. Thanks again for the pic.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:13 PM

right and it should be like that because if you try and line it up and will spring back so thats why you have to use a wrench to get it to line right up. so right and right.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:02 AM

Wait a sec... I have to use a wrench to line it up? This just confused me more... lol!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:07 AM

the valve springs push on the cam in a way that the left cam will point up a little bit if you let go of the cam gear, so you need to use a wrench to just hold it still while youre putting the timing belt on.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:46 AM

THANKS! Sorry about that guys. I just wasnt getting it. But now i got. LOL! Thanks again guys.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:00 PM

[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Quick Reply: Head is about to come off.. but need some HELP!