2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Hey I need Some advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Default Hey I need Some advise!!

I Have A '96 Eclipse (automatic) Nothing done to it. It has fairly low miles (in the 80 thousand range). What Should i do To get some power and sound out of it. I would like an old school american muscle engine. or a type like ls1. but should i get a new motor or modifie this one. My dad said the engine is to old to put a turbo on. What Should I Do?. Help Me Plese.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Default RE: Hey I need Some advise!!

whoa just whoa....

american muscle V8 motor in a dsm.....NO don't even waste your time its not gonna happen

turbo-is your car a gs-t or a gsx? then it already has a turbo

too old for turbo...the 90-99 eclipse all came with turbo option

whoa

Old 11-30-2006, 10:51 PM

not it is the bottom of the line. it dosent have a turbo. but what my dad ment was the engine might not be able to handle it.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:53 PM

ah the 420a...can handle boost...but i don/t recomend it. i would keep it clean and buy a nicer car later on.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:08 PM

I don't want to seem like o much of a nube but what is "dsm". Will It hurt the engine if i get a tubro from say "http://www.turbo-kits.com/eclipse_turbo_kits.html" the 1 for my car and put it on. then get a header and exhaust kit.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

if your gonna get put a turbo on that car plan on spending alot of money. The kit shown in that link is the best for a 420a but thats not all your gonna need either if you want more out of it. That kit will only get you about 200hp i think. It may be a bit more. But to get more your gonna need more boost. And to do that, its means new internals and better tuning. I dont know what else comes in that kit, but remeber that still doent have everything. All said and done, id say plan on around 5k total. So its either that or save up and keep this car for now, then buy a turbo car. youll be much better off. But thats just my opinion

and for the DSM meaning. Just a very short desc. Its a colaboration that happened between chysler and mitsubishi from 1990-1993 which they combined to be named Daimond(crysler) Star(mitsubishi) Motors

Old 12-01-2006, 12:17 AM

^^ might as well be from 90-99 though

Old 12-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

^^ might as well be from 90-99 though
i was gonna say that but then i didnt want someone comming in and trying to correct it, so i just said the right years. Theres no point in getting detailed with it. Maybe that should be a sticky in here so we dont have to keep saying it

Old 12-01-2006, 11:20 AM

Here's a small tidbit of DSM history.
Original: Ludachris

Background Information on DSM/MMMA

# October 1985, Diamond-Star Motors (DSM) was incorporated as a joint venture of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) and Chrysler Corporation.

# April 1986, ground broken for the auto assembly plant in Normal, Illinois. Construction of the 1.9 million square foot facility, with an annual production capacity of 240,000 vehicles, was completed in March 1988.

# Diamond-Star Motors simultaneously launched its first two mass production vehicles in September 1988: the Mitsubishi Eclipse and the Plymouth Laser.

# In 1989, 90,741 vehicles were produced. A second production shift and a third shift for engineering and maintenance were added in May 1989.

# In 1991, MMC purchased Chrysler's 50 percent share and the plant became a wholly-owned subsidiary of MMC. On July 1, 1995, Diamond-Star Motors was renamed Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing of America, Inc.

# In October 1995, MMMA celebrated the one-millionth vehicle - which was the first Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder convertible. It was also the 10th anniversary of incorporation.

# The plant has had three expansions since 1988; the most recent was in November 2000 when groundbreaking occurred for a 170,000 square foot expansion to Stamping and Body Shops to accommodate the new sport utility to be built at MMMA in 2003 (2004 model year ). Upon completion of this expansion, square footage will be 2.5 million.

# Rich Gilligan joined MMMA in December 1998 as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer and began a restructuring and turnaround of plant operations.
Technically, the 1Gs cars and Galant VR4's were made in the plant during the DSM time frame, so those two are really the only DSMs, but they're not as per enthusiasts. Also note that the 4g63 was in the EVO 1-3 before DSM, so it can't be the motor that is associated with the DSM name...but it is since the 2G are considered a DSM by motor AND plant association. The 2G is really an MMC car and the Galant VR4 isn't considered a DSM half the time, but it is. Nothing is concrete as you can see because it's the enthusiasts that say yay or nay. The more hardcore DSM'er considers the 1G, 2G, GVR4 a DSM. My Avenger is made in Normal, Illinois plant but it's not a DSM and it's not considered one even with the 4g63 and awd in it (doesn't matter to me really, lol).
This is just what I've seen and read on a lot of DSM boards, unless a rep from Mitsubishi comes out and states what is a DSM, it's up to us to define what a DSM is

Old 12-01-2006, 11:33 AM

the real DSM (90-93) cars have DSM plastered all over the stickers on the doors and under the hood, the rest dont, whats that say about it
if you want a turbo, its much easier to buy one thats already turbo, its expensive either way you go to have whistly vaccum cleaner parts attached to your engine

Quick Reply: Hey I need Some advise!!