Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   Hood scoop (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/hood-scoop-12808/)

paintballproam 08-18-2006 01:49 PM

Hood scoop

I was wondering since my engine gets so hot and there is nowhere for the intake to get cold air from, would having a hood scoop help keep things cooler? something along the lines of an evo hood?

98eclpsrider 08-18-2006 02:16 PM

RE: Hood scoop

i would say a little, it also depends on the air on the outside too. if it's hot then it won't, during the cooler season then it will help some. synthic oil believe it or not, will cool down your engine some, because of less friction. but other than that and some sort or cold air intake...that will cool it down some, but since there's not room. Other than that, it's all i got.

paintballproam 08-18-2006 02:50 PM

well i run royal purple 10w30 but even when its in the 90's here when i open my hood its so much hotter

paintballproam 08-18-2006 02:52 PM

oh and if u've seen the engine bay on a gsx or gst you know there is really no where u can get cold air from

RCJr9186 08-18-2006 03:13 PM

header heat wrap, turbo heat wrap, intake insulation... these will all keep it cooler under there. i've read in some places that header and turbo wrap can reduce the heat under the hood by like 65%... not sure how true that is but it's a cheap way to stay a lot cooler.

98eclpsrider 08-18-2006 03:22 PM

my cold air on my GST is right in front on the pass side, from my turbo.

dirtwagon 08-18-2006 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

header heat wrap, turbo heat wrap, intake insulation... these will all keep it cooler under there. i've read in some places that header and turbo wrap can reduce the heat under the hood by like 65%... not sure how true that is but it's a cheap way to stay a lot cooler.
Be careful if you decide to wrap- usually any warranty will be voided if you wrap. The headers stay hot much longer than they are meant to which causes premature failure of the metal. An EVO style hood should keep you quite a bit cooler in the engine bay...the ambient temp. outside will never match the temp in the engine bay of your car. Remember the EVO hood is designed to help the heat escape, not necessarily bring cool air in. As for a regular hood scoop it will help if you have it configured so that the air is "ducted" or directed at your SRAM intake, otherwise it may not help that much except to create a little more drag.

slvr_eclipse 08-18-2006 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtwagon

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

An EVO style hood should keep you quite a bit cooler in the engine bay...the ambient temp. outside will never match the temp in the engine bay of your car.
Thank you. I was Just going to say that. the motor runs what 160 degrees maybe??? I think only a few places in the states it reaches 110 and only for maybe a week or so. Thats a big difference i'd say.

TheEngineer 08-18-2006 07:38 PM

id say that a hood scoop is pretty much pointless. I dont see it making all that much of a difference especially performance wise

98eclpsrider 08-19-2006 04:45 AM

it may cool down the out side walls maybe, but doesn't the inside temp counts more than the outside.