2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

how difficult is it to change the clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Default how difficult is it to change the clutch??

okk so i have a 96 eclipse rs and ive had it now for about 3 months, its a 5 spd and im not sure but i think its going to need a new clutch in the up coming months, hopefully not til i get some more money tho, so but wut would b like a rough estimate on how much a new clutch would b and about how hard would it b to just change it myself or would i just b better off buying it once i need it to just have my mechanic change it and spare the hassle?? cause personally i dont kno crap about trannys and neither does my dad, so opions pleasee, thankss

Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned
Default RE: how difficult is it to change the clutch??

Its not easy if you dont know what your doing. Maybe 5+ hours.

The clutch itself isnt that expensive.. the labour is what kills you. You should be able to get one for a couple hundred bucks

Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 PM

well if u dont know anything and u know someone who does then that would be the best way to go about putting it in...and cost depends on what kind of clutch u want ,stocks are pretty cheap ,but as soon as u get into performance they can get expensive quick.

damn sebb beat me to the post!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM

yea, alright well then i guess when it comes time that its in dire need of that clutch ill just have my mechanic do it for us cause i wouldnt wanna totally **** that up, haha, well thats not too terribly bad on the cost, yea i kno, labour these days is masssssivee, i already had to have the lower control arm and ball joint replaced, that cost 357 but it was a recall as we later found out,so i went to mitsu and they replaced the other side as well and i got some money back

Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 PM

oh and i was jw too like with things like the shifter, how hard is that to put in a short shifter and things like the headers and all, cause ive been making mass plans ever since i got it, im gettin a full catback system, new headers, straight test pipe, i already have a short ram intake, but idk i was thinkin though about just savin up my money all yr this school yr and hopin nothin breaks on it major and then at the end of the yr since im a sr and all just buy an engine swap and throw in a 4g63 and all kinds of goodies, but im not sure, opinions on that?!?!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 PM

the 4g63 dont fit in the 2g rs/gs different direction/ mounts

Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 PM

ahhh, well shat, that suxxx, i guess ill just build up the engine in itnow then, ohh well, either way itll end up bein insane [8D][8D]i hope

Old 09-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 96420ars

ahhh, well shat, that suxxx, i guess ill just build up the engine in itnow then, ohh well, either way itll end up bein insane [8D][8D]i hope
i wouldnt be too optomistic, it is a 420a after all

Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 AM

yea i kno damn 420a [:@]ohh i kno ill throw a honda engine in there, get some vtec flowin through my dsm car no but i think i am just gonna do minor upgrades to the eclipse cause my dads gonna buy me a 10k car at the end of this yr as long as i get a scholarship [8D]i cant waitt

Old 09-20-2007, 07:44 AM

ohh i kno ill throw a honda engine in there, get some vtec flowin through my dsm car
[sm=icon_beat.gif] - i don't feel like typing all that much so i'm just gonna tell you flat out that unles you plan on paying 5500 bucks for a crate motor, 3500 for a turbo kit, a nitrous kit and a bottom end rebuild... don't waste your time "modifying" the car. the fastest 420a in the world is running 11's right now. that car has over 30k dropped into it.

Quick Reply: how difficult is it to change the clutch??