2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

How do i get my ECU "socketed?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Default RE: How do i get my ECU "socketed?"

wow, i just looked at that website... i wouldn't pay them 20 for any of those chips, it looks like that page was created in a matter of seconds. . . way to sketchy and all you are doing is telling your ecu that the car isn't dying when it really is.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:54 PM

I would say... that i LOVE my car.. LOL! Good idea man. But if the chip is programmed to the 660's, i dont understand why it would hurt?

Also, if i put in injectors (660's), wouldnt i need the tuning devices to put them in along with the injectors? Isnt that bad, puttin injectors in without tuning them right away?

By the way RCJr9186 do you have AIM? LOL!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:00 PM

Well, i am getting 660's with the chip, IF i decide to go that way...

Old 02-06-2007, 05:02 PM

ok let me set up an example.... lets say you buy a diet pill that tellls your body that you are always full so you never eat, you think you are doing good for your self b/c you are losing weight but the side effects are killing you (literaly) same here, the chip(pill) is telling your ecu (body) that your engine is getting enough fuel (food) but you are actually starving your eneing b/c you aren't pumping enough b/c you don't have 1 the pump to get that much fuel to your engine and 2 the injectors to spray enough fuel into he cylinder.... there for more air than fuel = lean which will make ur engine go ka-powie!! all that head gasket work down the drain. and no i don't have your AIM you can look mine up on my profile and IM me if you want.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Ok... not sure if you got this or not. LOL! But if i get this chip, i am getting it with a Walbro 190lph, 660's injectors, and SAFC.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:12 PM

First off, that site was not thrown together in 2 seconds. DSMchips.com is a known vendor and well respected vendor in the DSM community. Their chips are top of the line, and have never caused a car to blow up. I would know, I am currently running one oftheir "Stage 3" chips. Next bestalternative to DSMlink.

I think you are misunderstanding what Alex is saying here. If you have the proper supporting mods for that chip, it is in no way doing your engine harm. You get the chip programmed to your specific setup. For instance, if Alex has 660cc injectors with a fuel pump to go with it, it will be next to impossible to tune the SAFC to compensate for those injectors. The chip does this for you. It tells your ecu that the 660s that are installed are supposed to be there, like they are stock, so the ecu compensates for the 660's. Then all you do is fine tune the car with the SAFC. This is in no way damaging the car. It also comes with most all the features of DSMlink. If you have the injectors that the chip is burned for, it in NO WAY damages the car. I have known many of DSM'ers to run this chip as an alternative to DSMlink with much success.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:12 PM

well if you ARE getting those item what do you feel the need for that chip for??? that chip does nothing but tell the computer something that isn't happening. if you HAVE the injectors and have the pump than you wouldn't need to tell the computer that, it would read it. and the SAFCII is so that you can put just the right amount of fuel and air in the engine exactly when its needed. i think that chip would be a waste of time and money unless a 2step is that important to you. in which case i'm not srue how much it costs to get your ECU "socketed" at an electronics store but lets look at the knowns... hastle of taking out the ecu, getting the ecu socketed, getting the chip (as long as you don't have to send the ecu off to get it done) and installing it. mind you that obviously, while the ECU is out, your car will not be running. OR you can pay apx 175-200 for a Greddy Emanage, install it, tune your car more rigerously and also set up your 2step. and by doing all this you will save yourself the 175-200 of buying the SAFCII. so basically paying for nothing but instalation of the emanage.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:20 PM

You cannot tune 660's on an SAFC2. You cannot pull that much fuel, it will not allow you to do so. Hassle of pulling an ecu? Lets see.. Remove side panel, remove ecu. 10 minutes. Taking it to get it socketed? 3 hours TOPS. Getting the chip? You can run the car with the ecu socketed without a chip until the chip arrives. Installing the chip? 10 mins to remove ECU plus 1 minute to install the chip. You cannot get an emanage for a turbo car for $200 (not an ebay special), plus no one runs Greddy emanage on turbo DSM's. Its either this, DSMlink, or AEM EMS.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM

alrighty, i personaly have never heard of the DSMchip, if you get a safcII, walbro 190, and a rising rate fpr... yes you can tune it. and he was saying that he was wanting to get up to the 300whp mark that's why i suggested 660s. if he's running a big16g than a 190, 660's, rrfpr, and safcII is all he'll need. granted that i would most definatly rather go with DSM link than a safcII i'm just saying... it can be done.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

RCJ its a matter of money. The DSMchip is the equivalent of getting an evo ECU "flashed" they basically can tune curtian things to what mods you have.

that chip does nothing but tell the computer something that isn't happening.
and i have to say this is kinda a dumb statement because what do you think the SAFC is doing. It is tricking the ECU that there is either less or more air being read my the MAF. So how is a chip any different. And you can even send the chip back when you get new mods. So as long as he tells them all the mods he has, they will tune it accordingly. I say its a good thing to do so that the SAFC will be even more efficient in its tuning. I think though that the SAFC could tune a 660 alone.

And also correct me if im wrong but doesnt the stage 3 chip setup for a stutter box launch (same as a 2step)?

Quick Reply: How do i get my ECU "socketed?"