2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

How do you make a 1.8 perform ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Default How do you make a 1.8 perform ?

Just wondering what performance options could be recommended.

I merge onto a really mean highway every day with only 1.8L power []

'93 Eagle Talon

Dan

Old 11-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Default RE: How do you make a 1.8 perform ?

turn it into a 2.0

Old 11-13-2004, 05:26 AM

How much are you looking to spend? I'd just swap engines for one with a turbo. A 4G63 turbo engine would be nice? I don't think you can do much with a 1.8 liter. Maybe just an intake exhaust and headers, but that won't be that noticable in acceleration and power.

Old 11-13-2004, 12:05 PM

I really like the 2.0 Turbo (common sense) idea.

We have 2 different "all foreign" auto parts wreckers in the area and I'll bet something whole might be available.

Question here (?) would a 2.0 Turbo hook right up to the existing 5 speed transaxle ?

DT

Old 11-13-2004, 12:14 PM

A friend of mine suggested that I disconnect the output line of the air conditioner compressor and then run it into the throttle air intake.

That way when I need a supercharged merge or else some puss in a Neon threatens to swoosh by I can press the little "snowflake" button and get some immediate boost!

My only question here is : Whenever I press the atomic supercharger boost snowflake button -would the road become blurry like I'm going into hyperspace like it did on "The Fast and the Furious" ? [:-]DT

Old 11-14-2004, 02:42 AM

Ok, if you rout your AC output into ur intake, you will probablly get negative boost. Everyone knows AC takes away alot of HP, and the forced induction that you will be putting into your intake with the AC will most likley not even be enough to compensate for the loss of horses from using the AC in the first place. Basically...dont do it your wasting your time.

And to answer your question, Dont go out and buy a new engine. First of all is your Talon in good enough condition to put money into in the first place? If yes, then dont drop a crappy junkyard engine in that may or may not have unseen problems that would set you back even more money. First of all you can buy a new car. Your other opion (in my opinion) is to throw on a cold air intake, cat-back exaust, headers, PERFORMANCE CAMS, cam gears, good spark plugs and wires, a performance distributor, performance clutch and flywheel, etc. All of this stuff will give you plentty of horse power. And i know all of you guys say "go buy a new engine", but its not that easy, and it will be worth the extra money to do all of what i just said. If you drop a used engine in, you will have a hard install first of all, second there are a number of small things that can go wrong with it, and third if there is something wrong trouble shooting will be hell, and if your lucky enough to find the problems (if there are any) good luck gettin the money to fix the stuff.

Basically if you didnt read my novel....Dont drop a new engine, dont rout AC, dont half a$$ it. Do it the right way and spend the money, but then think "maybe i should just buy a better car"

Old 11-14-2004, 09:55 AM

Ok, if you rout your AC output into ur intake, you will probablly get negative boost. Everyone knows AC takes away alot of HP, and the forced induction that you will be putting into your intake with the AC will most likley not even be enough to compensate for the loss of horses from using the AC in the first place. Basically...dont do it your wasting your time.
Hold on just a second if you didnt know the cs take refrgerant not air so it wouldnt have any effect at all it would br dumping condensation oil and refrgerant into your motor. IT WAS A JOKE NOTE THE
My only question here is : Whenever I press the atomic supercharger boost snowflake button -would the road become blurry like I'm going into hyperspace like it did on "The Fast and the Furious" ? DT
At the end???? Oh and some of us like our cars. i wouldnt sell my car for a new eclipse no way. oh and if i were u Dans Talon i would do the research on puting the other motor in the car and see if it wil mount right In my opinion a new motor will last longer "under manufacture garentee" reather than trying to sup it up your self plus its a better motor. OH AND I WOULD NEVER GO TO THE JUNK YARD FOR A PART FOR MY CAR. if it dont mount right than i would send it in to a macinest dont try it yourself there in no garentee that it will work proper if u do it your self.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:31 AM

I didn't mention the part about replac'in the refrigerant w/ nitrious[8D]

It is a sweet and simple little green sportster sort-of a retro kinda feeling and worth keepin'...

....and man(!) 40 miles per gal. DT

Old 11-14-2004, 11:44 AM

Your other opion (in my opinion) is to throw on a cold air intake, cat-back exaust, headers, PERFORMANCE CAMS, cam gears, good spark plugs and wires, a performance distributor, performance clutch and flywheel, etc.
O-kay, I'm listen'in.

#1 What is a "cold air intake" ?
#2 Who makes 1.8L engine headers ?
#3 "Performance cams" awesome! Who lists these for a 1.8 ?
#4 "good plugs and wires" --got it.
#5 "performance distributer" ? for what ? hi-voltage maybe? hotter spark?
will this better my acceleration ? Does anyone have any
experience with adding a performance distributer ? What does this
do for you ? Can maybe a high energy ignition add-on be an option
here ?
#6 The new clutch I installed is smooth. I aint mess'in with it.

DT

Old 11-14-2004, 01:18 PM

First of all you can buy a new car. Your other opion (in my opinion) is to throw on a cold air intake, cat-back exaust, headers, PERFORMANCE CAMS, cam gears, good spark plugs and wires, a performance distributor, performance clutch and flywheel, etc. All of this stuff will give you plentty of horse power. And i know all of you guys say "go buy a new engine", but its not that easy, and it will be worth the extra money to do all of what i just said. If you drop a used engine in, you will have a hard install first of all, second there are a number of small things that can go wrong with it, and third if there is something wrong trouble shooting will be hell, and if your lucky enough to find the problems (if there are any) good luck gettin the money to fix the stuff.
[sm=badidea.gif]
heck ya dude spend 1,500 to 2,000 dollars on upgrades for a 1.8 with 92 hp that will take you to around 130hp. and still get passed by a buss.or spend 1,500 to 2,000 on a 1g gst or gsx and start with 215 hp. then sell that 1.8 and put the money back into your new car. all cars have problems with them,you just have to learn how to work on them your self so you can save money.if you take to a shop and pay 100 bucks to put on a cold air intake etc. then yea you will run out of money quick. so get a chilton manual and a gst or gsx, get some grease on your hands and give her hell [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: How do you make a 1.8 perform ?