2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

how to ground an AMP

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Default how to ground an AMP

I just had a question on how i should ground my amp i just got. When I attach it to the chasis is it ok to have anything touching the wire...like carpet or is that an absolute no.. was also wondering if anyone new what the dimensions were for the underside of the driver seat.. i want to put my amp under the driver seat but don't know if it will fit there...

Thanks Chris

Old 02-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Default RE: how to ground an AMP

ok when you ground out to the chasis i usually find a bolt going into the frame, i allways mount amps in the trunk so pull up on the carpet back there and you should see some bolts going into the frame. Undo one of the bolts and if you have sand paper sand the paint away from the bolt hole. Sometimes if im in a hurry ill use a flathead screw driver and scrape it away, Basicaly you want the wire or metal circle thing (recomended) to be bolted down on metal not paint, then put your wire over the bolt hole and tighten down the bolt. As far as the under the seat mounting thing just take the amp and see if it will go under the seat before its wired up. Altho personaly i would never mount an amp there. Ive allways mounted the amp to the sub box thats allways in the trunk.
p.s. allways allways disconect the battery while wireing amps up #1 rule

Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 PM

the only reason i want to wire the amp under the seat is because of security i don't want someone to see my amp and subs and break a window and steal them so i was thinking under the seat would be out of sight and be less of a security threat. Ive had my car broken into before this is why im worried about it but if you have any suggestions on how to deal with that pls share i would love to here them, and thanks your post helps me alot

Old 02-28-2008, 08:29 PM

anywhere there is bare metal from the chassis is a good place to ground it. just pull up the carpet, find a bolt, and sand down the area that the bold threads into and it should be ok to ground it too

Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: youngowner

the only reason i want to wire the amp under the seat is because of security i don't want someone to see my amp and subs and break a window and steal them so i was thinking under the seat would be out of sight and be less of a security threat. Ive had my car broken into before this is why im worried about it but if you have any suggestions on how to deal with that pls share i would love to here them, and thanks your post helps me alot
yeah that sucks, the only thing i can tell you about that is dark window tint... buti believe most if not all 2'nd gen eclipses have a back dash that connects to the hatch back. So when the hatch back is closed it should cover your subs/amps mine does but when you open it the dash comes up with the hatch and then puts your equipment in plain site. but ppl are ******** and if they see a nice eclipse usually they are going to think something nice is inside of it even if they cant see in there becouse of the kinda ppl that own these cars/ expecially if its not beat up and run down.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM

to my knowledge i dont think that amps aren't saposta go anywhere where it cant get fresh air/ moving air. under the seat is a bad idea cuz the heat will just sit under the seat and eventually burn up the amp essecially if you turn it up real loud and make the amp work really hard, but im not gonna tell u what to do. i can understand y you would do it. they have special bolts you can buy for this. they use an allen head to put in and are a rounded head so they really cnat be stollen. i put those on mine they work amazing

Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 AM

98gstspymakes a very valid point about the heat. amps love fresh air and can overheat. If you must mount the amp under the seat i would get a 80mm computer fan and hook the red wire of the fan to the remote wire of the amp (usually a blue wire) and the black wire of the fan to the ground wire of the amp. you can even put the fan wires in with the amp wires ware they go into the amp at, usually a screw tightens them down. that way the fan will turn on when the amp turns on and it wont steal any power from the amp. The remote wire is just a 12v low amp current thats sole purposeis to turn the amp on and keep it on so long as power is going to it threw that wire. I have had to do this to a couple 5000 wat amps ive had becouse thay got to hot for my comfert
BTW what size amp are you trying to install?
Oh and as far as the carpet over the ground question not only is it ok id actually recomend it, les chance for it to get kicked/knocked lose by someone/something, and helps hide the wires

Old 02-29-2008, 10:24 AM

what I did with my sub enclosure is had a custom amp rack built into it with a lid that slides over top of the amps....then I had 2 fans put into the rack as well, one pulling air in and the other blowing hot air out...my amps are hidden and stay cool at the same time...you can see a pic of my amp rack in my photo gallery....Actually here, to save you the trouble of looking around for the pic..the lid goes over top of the rackand is hel on by security screws that take aspecial bit to get them off.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 AM

shreff99very nice setup! Do you have a custom sub box to?

Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM

I really like your setup shreff where are your subs sitting and did you do that yourself or professionally done i wanted to get something like that professionally done for mine but probably wont get it for another couple months..

Quick Reply: how to ground an AMP