2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

I changed the cams, replaced the timing belt, and now it wont start???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Default RE: I changed the cams, replaced the timing belt, and now it wont start???

When you timed it, was the number 1 cylinder at TDC? You may have timed it on the wrong stroke of the pistons.. Take the number one spark plug out and turn the motor until you have that right at the top.. If your timing marks dont line up, then its not on the right stroke..

Old 12-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Default RE: I changed the cams, replaced the timing belt, and now it wont start???

Thanks for the advice TheAdvocate, but we did have it set on top dead center on the first cylinder, and all the timing is also set correctly.

Now, back to the error code I said I got, (1300 - Ignition Timing Adjustment Circut Malfunction) I called AutoZone thinking I would replace the Crank Sensor.....and well, that would be around $400 and they didn't have it in stock. I don't really think the crank sensor is the problem and nor do I want to drop $400 unless I have to, so I tested the Power Transistorthe way it said to in the Haynes manual, (You hook up a 1.5 volt battery to 2 different terminals and then check 2 other terminals with an ohmmeter, when they are connected you should have continuous continuity and when the positive lead to the battery is disconnected I you should have no continuity........... well I still have continuity.) Now here's a question I have, what is the purpose of the Power Transistor exactly. I am thinking that could be the problem because the guy I talked to at Auto Zone said that there was 4 possible causes for the error code I was getting:

1. Open or Short Circut Condition (I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem)
2. Poor Electrical Connection ( Again I doubt this is the issue, we have gone throught he car almost 4 times now, and everything looks good)
3. Failed Power Tranistor (This is a possibility)
4. Failed ECM (Again it's possible but I dont have a way to tell yet)

Another think to think about is that I hooked up a screwdriver the the spark plug boot and held it next to the chasis and I could visibly see spark when I tried to turn it over, however when I hooked up the timing gun it did not detect a fire every time it turned over, it seemed to be firing sporadically. So I am just wanting an opinion as to what my next move should be, I found a power transistor here for about $130: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...326+4294965496.

Do you think I should try replacing the power transistor, or are there a few other things you think I should check?

Thanks for everyones help so far!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 PM

Could.. If you end up going back to thinking its the crank angle sensor, get a 1st gen cam angle sensor and bypass that crank sensor. It would be cheaper to do that.. (If you have to)

Old 12-02-2007, 10:58 PM

i would, just to check, re-do the timing, it is very possible that just as you were putting a belt on it slipped... happened to me before

Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 PM

I have cranked the car a million times, and I have re-checked the timing and each time every mark lined up. Anyway, ordered the power transistor from a guy off ebay, he's a power seller and gurantees the item to work or my money back, I bought it with shipping for a whole $36. So we'll see what happens.

And for those who say don't buy from ebay, heh, this is my 4th car I have bought off eBay 3 of them being DSM's.. so I don't think it's so bad, it is bad if your an idiot and try and buy a $300 "name brand part" for $10 from someone who has a quanity of 200, lol.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM

ya.. I bought 1 of mine from ebay.. And love it.. Only person that really gets **** about it is sebba But then again he gets **** about a lot of things

Old 01-11-2008, 05:44 PM

It's been awhile since I posted my progress on this situation, but the power transistor did not help any. I am purchasing a 1st Gen GST from some woman my friend works with for about $325. I have it as spare parts for my current engine as well as a spare block to start building on. My plan is to take the cam angle sensor from that car and put it on mine to see if it will make any difference. Let me know any other suggestions before I take the cam angle sensor and leave out to work on my car, which will be either later tonight or early tomorrow morning. My car is like 3.5hrs away so I need to take whatever with me before I leave so I can try what I can while I'm there. Please respond soon if you read this, thanks again for all your help everyone!

Again, just a brief rundown on the situation so far, the car had a few parts replaced....timing belt, starter, clutch, spark plugs, spark plug wires and also upgraded to a bigger set of cams. Now after all the labor was finished the car will cough but not start. after checking everything I definately have spark, fuel, and compression. As for the timing all is set correctly...I have been down that road more than I want to admitt, lol. Now after hooking up a timing light I was able to see that when I turned the car over it fired but it was very inconsistent, meaning it wasn't firing every cycle like it should be. I have put the old set of cams in just to make sure it was in a state to which it was definately running before. I have changed a small unit known as the Power Transistor which has a part in telling the engine when to fire along with the cam angle sensor; however replacing the transistor did not help, so I am now replacing the cam angle sensor.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 PM

I had this same issue but with a different motor and it was first the timing was 180 out the spark was hitting when valves were open not on compression stroke. second thing is i had spark issues because the coil pack was installed backwards by previous owner installed it that way so when wire were hooked up correctly as book shows it was backwards. After i fixed those 2 issue fired up no problem. just some thing you may want to look for. only way i knew it was out of time 180 is i was cranking it over with ignition off and a push starter and i could see it spark when valves were opening looking at the lifters.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:24 PM

Well just to throw something out. You said its a 6 bolt and your using dsmlink. Wouldn't you have to rewire the coil pack or change the order of the spark plug. Location of plug 1 and 4 are swapped with 2 and 3.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 PM

I had this happen when i swapped out my 98 ecu for a 95 dsmlink ecu. It would crank, back fire and not start. Till i remembered on the DSMlink faq that you had to do that if you were using the 95 ecu. So maybe when u put ur new spark plugs u put them back in the normal order.

Quick Reply: I changed the cams, replaced the timing belt, and now it wont start???