2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Default RE: idle problems

it should be located on the side of the valve cover. its the only thing sticking out with a hose connected to it.

and here is some info on the PCV valve...
"The crankcase is sealed to prevent the escape of these gases into the atmosphere, but the vapors must be removed to prevent oil contamination that leads to sludge formation. The positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system siphons these vapors from the crankcase and routes them into the intake manifold so they can be reburned in the engine. "http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques079_1.html

Old 12-03-2008, 11:13 AM

well i tried my best to check all the vacuum lines but im no professional but i did look at the diagram. right behind the cars right head light i would this just laying there but i couldnt figure out where it was from.

also do you think this could be a problem with misfires too? because when i first got the car the check engine light was on and i got it tested awhile back that there are random misfires in a few of the cylinders. thanks

Old 12-04-2008, 12:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Jarreddl

well i tried my best to check all the vacuum lines but im no professional but i did look at the diagram. right behind the cars right head light i would this just laying there but i couldnt figure out where it was from.

also do you think this could be a problem with misfires too? because when i first got the car the check engine light was on and i got it tested awhile back that there are random misfires in a few of the cylinders. thanks
Lol, that's the headlights pressure relief tube. The headlights are not hermetically sealed, otherwise it would explode during cross country trips. Only the old halogen headlights were hermetically sealed. Find the nipple so that you don't have water creep into the headlight. Put electrical tape on the end of it, so that it will have some pressure to stay on.

As for the misfires, I say ignition system related. Air leaks won't generally cause misfires...RPM surge sure, but not misfires.
Ignition components to check are the CPS, plugs (make sure they are the correct ones and not performance or cheap ones), wires, (make sure they are the proper ones and not cheap ones). I need more info on the misfiring, but that's generally it.
Check fuel filter, clean TPS...just clean the intake with SEAFOAM and replace the CPS. The injectors will be cleaned by the SEAFOAM. Something to keep them clean is to drive over 50MPH for at least 15 minutes.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 AM

uhh i really dont understand what you said to do with the headlight pressure relief tube. can you show me a picture of how its supposed to be?

I go the car checked back in april for why my check engine light was on and this is what i got.

Troubleshooting P0300
Definition:cylinder misfire detected- random cylinders
explanation:the powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.
Probable causes:
1. ignition system fault-spark plug(s) ignition wires, coil
2. vacuum leak
3. injector fault
4. high or low fuel pressure

PO401
Definition: EGR system fault
Explination: The ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system
Probable Causes:
1. Blocked passage on EGR system
2. Failed EGR valve
3. EGR solenoid faulty
4. Failed EGR pressure pensor where applicable
5. Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable

Then there are a few more but i dont think it has to do with the same thing. It says something bout the HO2S 12 heater condition failed.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM

sounds like you should just let somebody who knows what there doing take a look at it..

Old 12-04-2008, 01:20 PM

well im trying to learn..not going so well but whatever. lol

Old 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM

uhh i really dont understand what you said to do with the headlight pressure relief tube. can you show me a picture of how its supposed to be?

I go the car checked back in april for why my check engine light was on and this is what i got.

Troubleshooting P0300
Definition:cylinder misfire detected- random cylinders
explanation:the powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.
Probable causes:
1. ignition system fault-spark plug(s) ignition wires, coil
2. vacuum leak
3. injector fault
4. high or low fuel pressure
The crank position sensor (CPS) and crankshaft position sensor (CPK?) can cause ignition issues in the 420a and are as common as with the plugs and wires when dealing with misfires. My suggestion to you is to drive this car at interstate/highway speeds more often. This will help get some of the built up gunk out and off of the injectors, EGR system, fuel system, and intake system.
As for the pressure relief tube. Wrap up the end of the tube that connects to the nipple of the headlight with some electrical tape and put it back onto the headlight. Wrapping the end will provide some pressure to help keep it on. Or you can try your luck at finding another tube. An elbow is recommended as this helps keep condensation out a lot better than a straight tube.
If you look on the other headlight, you should see another tube just like it.
PO401
Definition: EGR system fault
Explination: The ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system
Probable Causes:
1. Blocked passage on EGR system
2. Failed EGR valve
3. EGR solenoid faulty
4. Failed EGR pressure pensor where applicable
5. Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable

Then there are a few more but i dont think it has to do with the same thing. It says something bout the HO2S 12 heater condition failed.
This is highly plausible. The EGR system gets a high build up of carbon and oil where the EGR system connects to the head. This piece can easily be removed and cleaned. Be forewarned that this area gets caked with buildup and you may have to physically remove some of the layers. Don't forget to replace the gasket or you'll get an EGR system leak and get that PO401 code again. Do you have issues getting up to speed in your car? If so, then the EGR isn't the only issue because the EGR system only works below WOT. In general, this system affects idle and coasting.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:10 AM

wow silvercoupe you have been really helpful. thanks. Im about to go and put the pressure relief tube back on now and then once i can get this vacuum leak or whatever fixed im going to try to drive my car at high miles alot.

for the most part i dont think my car has a problem getting up to speed but then again this is my first car and i havent drove another talon.

thanks alot