Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   im pretty sure its my clutch............. (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/im-pretty-sure-its-my-clutch-20820/)

BrunoBoy650 07-28-2007 12:34 PM

im pretty sure its my clutch.............

just to confirm ill post it lol, uhm my car (96 gsx) sometimes sputters at idle while warming up, and it sputters taking off from 1st gear, but once warmed up its ok, but now i lost all power to the wheels, the rpms will shoot up, but no power to the wheels, but i dont smell rubber or anything that smells like the clutch went out, so im just making sure, is it the clutch?

tjbiker031 07-28-2007 12:47 PM

RE: im pretty sure its my clutch.............

Sounds like the clutch to me

TheAdvocate 07-28-2007 01:45 PM

has it been getting worse over time and now finally gone? Or did it just happen out of the blue where it wont grab? That sucks.. Atleast clutches arent to expensive to buy...

tjbiker031 07-28-2007 10:19 PM

can you put the car into gear with the car on or does it grind and wont go into gear?

silvercoupe97 07-29-2007 04:34 AM

Ok, so you have two issues here.
One is the sputtering/bogging at idle and before warm up.
The 2nd is motor revs without putting power to the ground.

I agree with TA, has this issue been declining or did it just happen all at once? Also with TJ.
Where was the disengage/engage point on the pedal before this happened?

Does the sputtering happen only during the initial start up in the morning or all day and once the motor has cooled? If it's only first thing in the morning then it sounds like the FIAVs wax pellet or even it's spring.

We need more info though. This is too vague bud.

itsme71190 07-29-2007 04:59 PM

im thinking it is clutch too. mine sputtered too. i relplaced the clutch myself. (it was a B***H) but it stoped it.

BrunoBoy650 08-04-2007 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Ok, so you have two issues here.
One is the sputtering/bogging at idle and before warm up.
The 2nd is motor revs without putting power to the ground.

I agree with TA, has this issue been declining or did it just happen all at once? Also with TJ.
Where was the disengage/engage point on the pedal before this happened?

Does the sputtering happen only during the initial start up in the morning or all day and once the motor has cooled? If it's only first thing in the morning then it sounds like the FIAVs wax pellet or even it's spring.

We need more info though. This is too vague bud.

it has been declining. back when i first got my car, clutch grabbed around middle. and over time it started to move higher and higher catch point. and then i realised it only boggs when taking off from 1st gear. it is able to go into gear without grind, but it doesnt put the power to the ground. just revs.

TheEngineer 08-06-2007 06:54 AM

definetely the clutch. But the sputtering might have to do with the ignition, maybe plugs

BrunoBoy650 08-09-2007 02:47 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

definetely the clutch. But the sputtering might have to do with the ignition, maybe plugs
bingo, thats exactly what it is, i had three other people say that also

TheEngineer 08-09-2007 07:44 AM

so have you changed them out to confirm it, or is it still figuring thats the problem