2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Just bought my first car! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned
Default RE: Just bought my first car! Help?

Ah....... *****

Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 PM

I don't think it's the wires, they look brand new. I will check the plugs asap!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Banned

Forget it. If there is damage on one cylinder you might as well swap the engine out.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 PM

Alright I just did the compression test. my #3 cylinder has no compression at all.

I'm by no means a mechanic but thinking about it, I think 0 compression is better than 50% compression. It makes me think that the problem is not in the block (unless the piston has a whole through it), but instead in the head somewhere. Like I said I don't know much so please give me your insight. I'm gonna take the valve cover off and see if I can see anything wrong there, then I think the next step would be to pull of the head. Is this the right thing to do? Please let me know if it's not, and or give me tips on what to look for.

Also I know I should probably just try find a used 430a but I don't have the cash right now, and I wanna try figure out exactly what's causing the problem. Also I really need to start gaining experience in engine problem solving and fixing. And it's fun to take the engine apart right?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Do a cylinder leak test in the #3 cylinder and listen to where the air is leaking from.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Awsome advice!!! See this is why I love this forum. Man I feel like I should mail you $10 for that piece of info. I would've ripped the whole thing apart to figure out where the problem might be. There is always a damn easier way..... Thanks a lot for all the insight guys I really appreciate it.

I know autozone does a lot of tests for free... Do they do this one, or could I loan the test gauge and test it at shell myself???

Old 01-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Idk if they will do this one, you'll need an air compressor to fill the cylinder. Try renting one and do it yourself, its a good learning experience. When you do it make sure you pull the oil cap off and radiator cap off.

if air is leaking from:

oil cap-rings/blow by
radiator cap-headgasket
intake-intake valves/valvetrain
tail pipe-exhasut valves/valvetrain

Also try doing a wet comression test in the #3 cylinder this will tell you for sure if you have a ring issue. All you do is add a cap of oil and do the compression test, if it justs up from 0psi to like 30-40psi then you have an issue w/ rings.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 PM

I will do as soon ASAP. Thanks dsm1990gsx. Here's a good link if there's anyone else reading this and struggling to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQBzrNNztaE

Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: warrengrob

I will do as soon ASAP. Thanks dsm1990gsx. Here's a good link if there's anyone else reading this and struggling to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQBzrNNztaE
Nice find, it has a lot of good info.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:58 PM

take it to your mitsubishi dealer. have them do the biggest inspection on it that they can do. thats what i would do so that you know exactly what your looking at for worn or near worn parts. gives you a good idae of how much you are looking at and you can start with the most severe problems and over time have it restored so to speak.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first car! Help?