2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Just bought my first car! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Default RE: Just bought my first car! Help?

Yep I think that might be an option. Any idea how much that will cost?

Well I went to autozone today and they do not do cylinder leak tests, or have leak tests you could loan. Just in case anyone is in the same situation I'm in.

So I guess I'll have to look for some open shops that can do a cylinder leak test tomorrow. And maybe call a Mitsubishi dealer to see what SUPER test will cost me.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Just buy one, I got mine from snap on for $99.00, I garantee the dealer will charge way more then that.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 PM

So a performance shop down the road from me wants $70-$90 for doing a leak down test. And like the above post said it's $99 for the test kit. I'm in two minds about buying a good used engine and doing a swap, I was hoping you guys can help.

Purely for the sake of money and not at all for time and effort I want to know if it's worth the money to fix my motor. There could be any number of things that I would need to fix the 0 compression in cylinder 3. I don't know if this is right but I'm thinking these are the possible problems; Hole in the piston, broken valve, valve stuck open (could this even happen?), leaking head gasket. I'm not speaking from experience and these are just guesses.

What are the other possibilities??? And how much would each of these scenarios cost me?

I know I can find a rebuilt motor in what seams to be excellent condition for about $1000, and I'm sure with a lot of effort I can do the swap myself.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Ring Lands. Im betting on that

Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Would it be ring lands if there was no compression at all? Thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

It could be a chipped valve, that would make sense as to why there isn't ANY compression.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

yea your probably right. You wouldnt get zero with just a ring. Probably f'd up piston or valve

Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 PM

So I did the leak down test last night. It was really easy except for the fact that the stethoscope we used had a solid rod and wasn't for listening to air leaks ( stupid but funny none the less). Well it was clear that no air was leaking into the oil pan. Even with the just the dip stick open you couldn't hear of feel anything. Radiator seemed good. Intake seemed good. And a **** ton of air was coming out the exhaust. You could feel the air blowing with just your hand so I'm hoping all the air was leaking out there.

Next step I'm thinking is to pull the valve cover and see if the valve is stuck or something like that. Got advice from an old guy telling me to try using valve ease. Anyone have any more advice please share it with me.

Also ordered both the haynes and chiltons shop manuals and they should be coming in this week.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Banned

I bet the valve is chipped

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 PM

So would it be worth it to even pull the valve cover?

Quick Reply: Just bought my first car! Help?