2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Knock gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Default Knock gauge

hey i'm getting my ecu chipped and reprogrammed, and i'm having the guy set-up his octane reset, but i'll need a knock gauge to monitor my knock sum... but i can't seem to find one, does anyone know where i can find one?

Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Default RE: Knock gauge

Well actually, the only 2 i've found are from summit racing. out of the two which one would you prefer? i understand the msd has an understandable bias cause it's such a good and well known company. But is it worth the money? or will the other gauge work just fine?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

im trying to figure this out. Why do you need a knock guage? Who is reprogramming it? And for what turbo/power setup?

Old 12-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

I think i can answer this.

Knock gauge for his race motor, pretty self explanitory lol. It is being programmed by.... ahh **** i forget, some chip company. For the moment he plans to run an EVO III on it, later going big.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

why is he bothering with this ecu chip crap. Why nto go right to DSM link, or something more

Old 12-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

Good question..

Old 12-26-2007, 04:31 PM

cost is probably less than dsmlink. i saw one of these site and it does what dsm link does but its for permanent set up. Dont get the onthe fly adjustment and changes. Couldnt you ask if the guy can program your stock boost guage to display nock. The site i was looking at gave that as an option.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 PM

Here's the site http://www.dsmchips.com/2g.html... it's the same chip and reprogramming that that woody got done. the stage 3. It is quite a bit cheaper than dsmlink, with the ecu that just came into and the reprogramming all-in-all it's costing me $350. All the info is on his site. And yea nubie, it's a permanent set-up, for me just daily driving and racing it on the track every once in a while i dont need to constantly change my fuel settings, etc. The reason for the knock sensor is this

What is the "octane value"?

The "octane value" is a term coined by Todd Day to refer to the memory address that is used as a longterm timing trim. If the ECU hears a moderate amount of knock for a long time, or alot of knock for a shorter amount of time, it will keep reducing the value in this memory address. Normally set at 255 (FULL), it will keep getting reduced as long as it hears knock. This could be due to just getting a bad tank of gas, or perhaps running more boost than you are tuned for. But, even if you fix the problem, by filling back up with good premium fuel, or turning down the boost, the "octane value" can take several hundred miles to work its way back up to "FULL" value again. This feature of my chips resets the "octane value" to "FULL" everytime you start the car! However, just as a warning, since you are removing this safegaurd that the ECU uses to protect your engine, it is YOUR responsibility to monitor your knock sum!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:20 PM

so what about the knock gauge?

Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

see the thing with these "chips" is that its like the flash that mike has on his ECU. Its only good for whatever mods you have now, and if you upgrade you need to have it reprogramed, and when the air temperature or humidity change the tune will also not be the same, therefore you are getting a tune that is only good for one condition and will not be perfect. Its good enough to be able to drive the car and get a decent ammount of power. However, i guarentee its not close to the power you could be making with DSMlink. And you wont be able to make the adjustments you need. Which trust me, in time when you get more into it, you will wish you could. And especially if you plan to upgrade the turbo at some point. The dsmchip simply just isnt good enough. Its great for that one time only thing though if thats all your looking for then go with it.

Quick Reply: Knock gauge