2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Knocking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Default Knocking?

Please Help, I am getting a knocking from where my timing belt is I think only when I rev the motor thou, is this bad and what could it be??? This car has more probnlems.[:@]

Old 08-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Knocking?

could just be lifter tick. Which isnt a problem.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

could just be lifter tick. Which isnt a problem.
I think you are right, I added oil this morning and it helped a little, I think it has to do with the valve cover being cracked, I get really low oil pressure cause of it, plus when I checked the oil this morning after I dstarted it it had bubbles in it wich I know cant be good. Im have the new valve cover but I need bigger bolts cause the new cover is thicker. Plus I think some of the holes are stripped. Hopefully thats all it is, I just ordered new rims for it I really want to get it back on the road.....[:@]....but there is always something going wrong.....uuuugggghhhhhhh[:@]

Old 08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

ah the life of owning a mitsubishi, haha

Old 08-28-2006, 01:24 PM

I know, but I love the car so I aint getting rid of her until I find another one, hopefully a stick with a turbo, same year thou I love the first G Eclipse. No luck finding one in my area yet thou....

Old 08-28-2006, 08:34 PM

Can a cracked valve cover cause oil to get into the cylinders?? The reason I ask is because I have a cracked valave cover and there is oil pulled in the spark plug holes, can oil get by the plugs over time? Just wishful thinking I guess...LoL we will see tomorrow its getting replaced tomorrow, hopefully that will help the loud tappping I get from the motor when I rev it....keeping my fingers crossed, im not ready to get her rebuilt yet....

Old 08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Well i know that a bad valve cover gasket will cuase oil to seep up but im not sure about the valve cover itself

Old 08-29-2006, 03:24 PM

when i was hearing a loud ticking from my engine, it turned out to be a bad exhaust manifold gasket

Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 PM

Not good, the guy I took my car too today couldnt fix my valve cover cause the one I have wont work plus he doesnt know if the knocking is a bad lifter or the main bearing wich I think its the main bearing, so heres my dilema, I sank almosy 2 grand into it already with the custom exaust and rims and tires, I dont want to get rid of her now so what do I do, I dont know how to rebuild a motor myself and its gonna cost at least 2000 more to have that done, or do a motor swap wich I would have to pay somewone to do wich I dont know how much that would cost, any advice????

Old 08-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

if its a bearing then no matter how you look at it, its gonna be big $$. I would say the motor swap would be the best way though cuz then you can put in a 6-bolt and have a much better engine for your money. I would do a search because there is a way to check the play in the bearing to see if that really is the problem first.

Quick Reply: Knocking?