2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

More tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Default RE: More tranny issue

so if i got a 2g trans for my 1g car i could mount it along with the engine to the subframe and it wouldnt tear it off the block anymore.....[8D]
you probly got a junk transmission if it was replaced, i worked in a shop for about 5 years, belive me you get more bad parts than good when replacing stuff with used and the shop always ends up eating the labor for crap parts

Old 12-22-2006, 03:02 PM

wait a minute, you CANT use a 2nd gen tranny with a 6 bolt motor? please say it isnt true. Cuz my new motor will be here next week and i was gonna use me 7 bolt tranny......

Old 12-22-2006, 07:02 PM

Okayy.. here the story my car is at a tuning shop for DSM. The guy inspected the car and notice 2 problems. The shift fork wasn't the correct one but that a small problem. They said they can grind it down to fit and work correct. It was hitting something. My memory isn't all that great. Something like bell housing not sure. Correct me if i dont make sense. The major problem was that the transmission was the wrong one just like silver suspected. The gear ratios do not match with the rear differential. So its spinning at a different speed. I was informed in a much clearer way but i dont remember. Somebody who more fimiliar with the transmission gear ratio and the differential ratio may know. Still knew to this. The good thing is theshop will take care of it from here at no cost to me. Just dont make sense to me cuz a 2nd gen AWD tranny didn't work with my car. Still finding out what this car is equiped with. Or maybe they got the 1st gen tranny instead. I forgot to ask. But when i pick up the car ill ask allt he question. My concern was that since the transmission spinning the drive shaft that connect to the differential are tryin to work at 2 different speed. I am afraid of somethig being damaged.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:36 AM

good way to trash the transfer case
on the6/7 bolt engine /trans note, my car is a 6 bolt motor with the stock trans from the 7 bolt motor (93), but its a 1g car still..
its not the original trans obviously, but still from a 93

Old 12-23-2006, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: racerx55

so if i got a 2g trans for my 1g car i could mount it along with the engine to the subframe and it wouldnt tear it off the block anymore.....
you probly got a junk transmission if it was replaced, i worked in a shop for about 5 years, belive me you get more bad parts than good when replacing stuff with used and the shop always ends up eating the labor for crap parts
I can't tell if you're kidding, lol, so I'll answer this.
You can't put a 2G trans in a 1G because of the mounting issue.
I can believe the shop comment, that's why I'm paranoid about just anyone working on my car, lol.

ORIGINAL: paintballproam

wait a minute, you CANT use a 2nd gen tranny with a 6 bolt motor? please say it isnt true. Cuz my new motor will be here next week and i was gonna use me 7 bolt tranny......
Let me varify that and I'll get back with you bud.

ORIGINAL: Nubiebubie_GSX

Okayy.. here the story my car is at a tuning shop for DSM. The guy inspected the car and notice 2 problems. The shift fork wasn't the correct one but that a small problem. They said they can grind it down to fit and work correct. It was hitting something. My memory isn't all that great. Something like bell housing not sure. Correct me if i dont make sense. The major problem was that the transmission was the wrong one just like silver suspected. The gear ratios do not match with the rear differential. So its spinning at a different speed. I was informed in a much clearer way but i dont remember. Somebody who more fimiliar with the transmission gear ratio and the differential ratio may know. Still knew to this. The good thing is theshop will take care of it from here at no cost to me. Just dont make sense to me cuz a 2nd gen AWD tranny didn't work with my car. Still finding out what this car is equiped with. Or maybe they got the 1st gen tranny instead. I forgot to ask. But when i pick up the car ill ask allt he question. My concern was that since the transmission spinning the drive shaft that connect to the differential are tryin to work at 2 different speed. I am afraid of somethig being damaged.
I was going to mention the gearing but I was pretty tired when I posted that other stuff, lol. Speaking of gearing...
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Trannies.html
They should have been able to swap trannys around due to the transfer case too (spline count).
I wouldn't let them "trim" the fork either, there shouldn't have been any issues if they got the correct fork. There is a lot of shifting going on in there and shaving the fork will only weaken it. I don't recommend that and I don't understand why they have to shave it in the first place. That's trouble IMO.
Ok, it's late and I'm starting to run my info together. I'm going to stop here so that I don't misinform anyone of anything, lol. Off to bed.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:35 PM

I mention to them about the spline count on the transfer case to the transmission. They ignored that part since the transfer case and transmission came in a pair of the original junk car. Just didn't understand why the gears dont match up with the rear diff. I am finding out wut actually in this car as it breaks.. Is it possible to use a 1st gen rear diff on a 2nd gen. If not then that clears up my thought on my car having a 1st gen rear diff and the shop getting a 1st gen tranny instead. Just tryin to piece it together lol..

Old 12-23-2006, 10:32 PM

I believe the the rear diff is fine as long as you use a manual's rear diff and not an auto's rear diff.
Things are pretty hectic around this time for me, so sorry if things are unclear....that's how my mind is at this time, lol.
Let me do more research and I'll try to clarify this stuff you guys, Nubie and Paintball. Hopefully in a timely manner

Old 12-24-2006, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: paintballproam

Here's clarification for you Paintball, you're good to go, sorry if I mixed it up and worried you
Original: TSIfWd

I currently own a 2g awd 5 speed with a 6 bolt motor in it. When I was doing the swap I had to make sure I kept the 2g AWD 5SPEED starter plate. You also can't forget that the axles are different sizes for a 5 speed. You can get any tranny for 95-99 not just the 95-96.
Here's more tranny info, which jives with a lot of other posts of this topic.
Original: TSIfWd
You definatly can't even think about using a 1g tranny. First off, a 1g awd tranny only has 4 bolts holding the tranny in place. On a 2g there are 5. Also the mounting places on the 2g are totally different. 1g has 1 tranny mount and 2g have 2mounts on the tranny.

The 6 bolt swap should not effect which tranny you use. If you have a 2g use a 2g tranny.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:13 AM

Hey Nubie, was your car previously an automatic? That's the only thing I can think of why the gear ratio with the rear diff is different.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

I can't tell if you're kidding, lol, so I'll answer this.
You can't put a 2G trans in a 1G because of the mounting issue.
I can believe the shop comment, that's why I'm paranoid about just anyone working on my car, lol.
well if i the trans has roll mounts, i could make my own and have both the engine and trans mounted strongly and not rip it off the engine again

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Trannies.html << gear ratios - compare a 2g AWD secondary & transfer to a 1g AWD, 1g t-case with a 2g trans, or vise versa wont work, so if you have a 1g trans, you need a 1g t-case, 2g trans with 2g xfer case - mix & match your ratios wont equal out
im not even sure if you can do that, but it sounds like a logical theory[&:]

Quick Reply: More tranny issue