2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

motor wont run

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Default motor wont run

alright guys i just bought a 95 talon esi...its got the damn 420a in it as we all know...it wont run which i knew this before i bought the car but anywayz we though maybe the water pump might have locked up and the timing had jumped a tooth well so far everything on the top has lined up...im not sure about down around the crank yet but if my timing is right then does anyone have any ideas on what my issue might be...i checked to see if i had spark and i do have spark and the engine does turn over it just wont start...and its a slow turn over when i turn the key...any opinions would be great...

Old 03-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Default RE: motor wont run

if it's a slow turn over it sounds like a starter or electrical problem. i know this is a long shot but have you checked the oil? i know a guy from high school that had a 95 eclipse and never changed the oil... it eventually just wouldn't turn over.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:08 PM

yeah its a little dark but im going to change that this afternoon when i get home from school...i just havent had the change to do it yet...but you say it could be my starter...is there anyway i can check the starter to find out...

Old 03-20-2007, 04:03 PM

hey guys come on i need some opinions...im gonna be working on this car this afternoon and im trying to see what im looking for when i go to work...

Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Ok well you always have to start off with the basics, check your fluids, including gas. Then start from there. Check for fuel pressure, by placing the key into the on position and hearing if the fuel pump engages. Check the spark plugs, and see if they still have life in them. Also check the injectors, to see if they are relaying, and if their spitting out gas ON TIME. If they are oxidised, clean them. The timing belt should also be PERFECT for the car to run, so check the crank pulley. all the teeth should patch up, in cordination with the water pump, and the cam shaft gear. If it still wont turn on, remove the starter and check for wear. Replace it if needed.
If all else fails, it could be something stupid, like no battery charge, or failure in the fuel pump. You can check this by removing the air intake, spray carb cleaner into it as someone turns over the car. If it turns on, the your not getting fuel. (and dont worry, it wont endanger any engine components).

Make sure to double check everything, and check for any misfiring.

good luck, let me know how it goes

Gus

any other questions, just ask

Old 03-22-2007, 12:30 PM

haha ok well it turns out that the guy that sold me the car didnt know what the **** he was talking about lol the gas needle was stuck at 1/8 of a tank and it was out of gas i put some gas in it and jumped it and it started right up after all the lines primed up and i put some fuel injector cleaner in it too so hopefully anything that was on the injectors will be taken care of by that and im going to by some other fuel system cleaner stuff too thats a little stronger...i have a bad battery too which im assuming that why the car keeps cutting off...i'll explain that incase im wrong...just driving the car which ive only done short distances and a very few times it cuts off at random and if it sits and idols for a few mins like prob 5-10 min then it'll shut itself off...is this just b/c the battery is dead or should i start looking for another prob...someone told me it might be a safety feature to keep from burning up the alternator if the battery is bad...what do you think??

Old 03-22-2007, 06:57 PM

this sounds like the same thing that goin on with my 95 esi have u figured out wats goin on with it yet

Old 03-22-2007, 10:29 PM

Have the battery checked for dead cells and if the battery is fine then you need a new alternator ( you can have both your alternator and battery checked for free at autozone)

Old 03-23-2007, 10:54 AM

my car was running similar to this when my head gasket was gone. at idle does your temp fluxuate at all? my idol used to sound like i was chopping from cams or something ( i even had somebody ask me on dyno day if i had cams... sad ) and if i let it sit there at idle w/o hitting the gas it would jump anywhere from 300rpm's up to 2k then back down and continue this process until it shut itself off. changed the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, pulleys and it runs like a champ.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:01 PM

no, mine just cuts off kinda like im turning if off. it idles fine i think it might be a fuel pump issue going to try to rewire it this weekend. i'll let ya'll know it that was the probleme

Quick Reply: motor wont run