2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

my car is flooding!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Default my car is flooding!!!

hello guys,
it was raining like cats and dog the whole night and this morning, when i look under my driver's rubber mat, the was water spot in the car. i tried to figure out how in the world the water could get it since there's no water stains coming from the top. this only happen to the drivers side, not the passenger. i was thinking like maybe it came from underneath but thinking about the logic of it, it seems impossible. any ideas?

Old 12-08-2004, 03:10 AM
Default RE: my car is flooding!!!

I believe your car was a 97 RS Eclipse. If it is a hard top, maybe it is your seals around your windows. I'm not sure what the seals look like on your car, but they are completely different for the spyder. If you didn't have your window opened a crack, I'm guessing it has to be the seals along the windows. Check those first. If you see any cracks or missing peaces of rubber, then it's the seals. You can use some black silicone RTV sealent to patch up the holes and cracks. Works pretty good.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:37 AM

i will check it out. the weird thing is that even if it is coming from the window, i should have found water dripping from it or even water spots on my seats or on my passenger doors. however, i'll check the window for crack or opening. thanks.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:36 PM

On my 97 talon, i remember right where the drivers side mirror connected to the glass on the window, there was a small leak. Water went straight from there into the window-air vent in the top side of the door or along the inside seam of the door jam. Easiest thing to do is take the hose to it for a mintue or two and see where it leaks.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: SpyderGS

On my 97 talon, i remember right where the drivers side mirror connected to the glass on the window, there was a small leak. Water went straight from there into the window-air vent in the top side of the door or along the inside seam of the door jam. Easiest thing to do is take the hose to it for a mintue or two and see where it leaks.

Same thing on my hard top. Right were the rearview mirror connectd the door to the car. The rubber weather strip doesn't keep a good seal. Try opening your door all the way and then putting the window up all the way then close the door. You will get a better seal than just rolling it up while it is closed.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:46 PM

LOL, my mustang sometimes leaks there too, small amounts in hard rain but it's just funny. I wonder if most frameless window cars have that sort of problem.

Old 12-25-2004, 02:02 AM

Yes, most all the acuras have had the same problem.

I would venture to say that form over function was NOT in mind for the window design.

Old 12-25-2004, 02:05 AM

Yea, it just doesn't seem like there's any way to get it to seal as well when you do it like that.

Old 12-25-2004, 02:22 AM

Never will. I believe it was a move in the parts dept. Keeps people coming in to buy NEW weather stripping, especially in the north areas.

Old 12-25-2004, 05:20 AM

there was this one time, when the water wasn't completely dried and it started to get below freezing point here in west lafayette, IN. the water froze up and stick my rubber mat to the carpet floor.

Quick Reply: my car is flooding!!!