2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY!!! 97GST

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Default RE: NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY!!! 97GST

ORIGINAL: mitsu_soon

Someone mentioned earlier the problem w/ mitsu eclipse gst in 97 having the crankwalk....was this fixed in 98...also is this smoking problem common in all eclipse models over 100 000miles or just the Turbo models?
all 7 bolts have the ability to crank walk.... 93-99

Old 11-25-2005, 12:30 AM

You said this will be your first car right? Personally if I were looking for a first car I wouldnt choose the one your talking about because being that your going to be a new driver as it is, mastering the roads and people on them is enough to pay attention at all times but espeically when your a new driver. Now to have to worry about your car on top of it, and if something were to go wrong not knowing what the heck is happening would be even worse. I think you need a good reliable car to get used to and learn your driving habits, plus you dont want to be excited to go out on your weekends, and whoops ....cars not working, and not many of your friends drive -Also, Id think about how long you plan on having the car, and how often your going to drive it apx. Good Luck

Old 11-25-2005, 01:57 PM

you mentioned looking for a car more reliable...I also found a 98 GS which is in great shape.... i was thinking that the GS might be a better investment for my first car because I know that if there is a problem with the turbo engine its not normally a cheap fix. Is the GS generally a more reliable car?? I realize it depends alot on how te previous owner took car of it but do you think it would be a smarter idea to pick up a GS/RS opposed to the GST?

Thanks for all the input so far, you guys have been a great help..

Old 11-25-2005, 05:14 PM

It really is who you buy from. A turbo car from a young owner is a bad Idea, but I know I bought my 00 GS in 01 with 45k on it and it was beat to **** and I ended up getting screwed for it. If it has no smoke\rust\ and drives nice then it may be a good deal. but any car can have less worries than the next. IMHO I think a GS is a good first car compaired to a turbo car. I know when I got my license I was an idiot for 6months drove like a typical ricer and if I had a faster car then it would have been more tempting

Old 11-25-2005, 05:18 PM

HAHA yah I could definetly see that by putting a turbo under he hood of my first car.... I've already got almost 2 full years of driving experience and so far so good. But I definetly see what you mean. I got some stupid friend w/ a 96 VW golf that is gunna total that car anytime now... I keep telling this that 90hp engine isnt made for it but hes an idiot.. I'm a little more mature with my driving habits... so you think the GS is a better idea??

Old 11-27-2005, 09:35 AM

I would test drive those modles of cars in your area and see hwat you are confortable with and be honest with yourself dont choose one just because you like the speed or pickup think to yourself is this too much car for me?

Old 11-28-2005, 11:52 AM

The eclipse is a very fun car ....but the GS is not very quick. I had one of those and its a great car espeically to get started on. At times it was annoying for instance when merging into traffic on a busy highway, and you just have to wait because you know your car isnt going to pick up fast enough, theres a few things you could do to it to get a little more umph. Or.... if you were to buy the car now, and save up for something else (such as upgrading you eclipse to one with less miles,newer year,different model or one of the three at least ) in a year or so, then you did a trade in at a dealership, and kept whatever they gave you for the trade as a downpayment, and finaced the rest then that could work. That works out nicely because if you keep the car for several years the value is only going to go down, and right now it seems like the car you choose is going to have a lot of miles on it, so by getting a different car next year youll be able to spend a little more (which you can figure out apx how much youd be able to spend per month for a car and finace it over four or five years), which will leave you with something nicer and youll really be adjusted to driving by then so you wont worry so much about messing up the car and what not. Just an idea though if you were worried about having so many miles on the car

Old 11-28-2005, 11:58 AM

And also as far as the owner goes, yes it does depend on that. But personally I have ALWAYS looked at it like this ...a car that has a 100K+ miles is going to run better with someone who took care of it... however, any car that has that many miles isnt going to be used to your drivng, and once the car suddenly changes drivers thats what makes it so shakey as to whether itll run okay or begin having problems. Look at it this way, many people say cars are good up to 200k+ miles now a day, and I think thats true if youve been with the car since at least 70k because the car has adjusted to your driving habits, but when it has to change to someone elses at 100K+ miles, **** happens. Thats how I look at it more or less ....BTW have you found anything new?

Old 11-28-2005, 03:26 PM

if you ca fly down and check it out test drive it and form your own opinion i have had no probs with my 97 gst but it dose not have that many miles , so well

check it out your self

Old 11-28-2005, 03:42 PM

all 7 bolts have the ability to crank walk.... 93-99
[/quote]

This is true but 97, 98 was the worst years for it. my buddy has a 95 with 200,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. dont get me wrong yeah turbo and some other minor stuff has had to be replaced over the years but it is still a nice car.

also being your first car i wouldn't recomend a GST or GSX unless you like spending a lot of money cause DSM's with turbo's have some major attitude problems.

Were is it located in Tx????? Im in Abilene, Tx and would love to take a look at it for you if it is close.