2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

new 95 eclipse owner, car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Default new 95 eclipse owner, car won't start!

hey guys here is my story: I bought a 1995 eclipse a few days ago. test drove it once, car ran great. clean engine, 180k miles, but ran great. Only noticeable thing is that the battery light is on. previous owner said it had come on the week before.

Came back the next day and bought it. Gas light had come on during the test drive, so I take it to the gas station a block from his house and fill the tank. I punch the trip odometer so I can get an Idea how far my new car will go on a full tank.

I proceed to drive my new eclipse, and i'm giddy like a little kid. car runs great, is cool as hell. I'm keeping the stereo off, listening for any weird noises, trying to familiarize myself with the car. get home park the car.

few hours later, drive to the store, as I'm slowing for a red, car sputters a bit, like its still in gear even though I've put in neutral. I chalk this up to a new gear pattern assume it was in gear, push in the clutch, no big deal car does not die. This happens again a few minutes later at a stop sign.

I leave the store, drive to the stop sign, car sputters, and this time dies, and will not start.

I've now driven a total of 17 miles. Every time I try and start it, it just turns over. If it sits for a few hours, or overnight it will catch, run for a second or two then die.

Poking around under the hood I cant smell any fuel at all so thats the first thing I check. I've got the Hayes repair manual, so I follow the troubleshooting guide.

when turning the key on, i listen to the fuel pump underneath the rear seat, there is no whirrr noise and the pump is not engaging, same when cranking the engine over. I pull the battery and use some jumper wires to get power directly to the pump it whirrrs right on, so fuel pump is ok.

Next I found the fuel relay next to the brake fluid reservoir. I was told the relay on the left is the fuel and on the right is the MFI relay. I pull the fuel relay match the number and replace it for 18 bucks from autozone. still nothing, fuel pump is not kicking on.

this is my first mitsu and i havent even driven it 30 minutes before the thing just died. The guy who I bought it from claimed it had never done anything like that before when i called him, and now wont return my calls. I'm kinda screwed with this, I had it towed to my house, but I'm at a loss as what to try next.

Should i replace the MFI relay as well? Might this be related to the mystery battery light or sitting for a few weeks with an empty tank? A cutoff for a blocked injectors or fueline or something like that? I'm grasping at straws here, Ive got no practical knowledge of this engine.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on what to try next?

John

Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Default RE: new 95 eclipse owner, car won't start!

could be your fuel pump or fuel filter

Old 09-12-2007, 11:04 AM

oh yeah what kind of eclipse rs/gs(n-t), or gst(fwdturbo), gsx(awdturbo)??

Old 09-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

when you start the car up how many volts are coming from the battery?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:17 PM

its an eclipse rs, no turbo. As for volts havent checked whats coming from the battery. I've got pleny of jucie to turn over but maybe not enough to get the fuel pump going?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 PM

check all the fuses, including the maxi fuses under the hood, there is a chance that the ECU fuse could be blown it should be a 20 blue maxi fuse. if that fuse is blown there will be no crank signal to the fuel pump. unfortunately its just an educated guess right now. Hope this kinda helps

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM

mine did a thing when i started it up it ran for a few and then died but after a few minutes it started up and acted like it was fine. well i looked under the hood and the fuel pressure scylenoid tube that went to out a little to have a little leak pushed it back in and the engine light turned off and now everything is good. do you have a engine light on?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 PM

no engine light, just the battery light was on before it stopped.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

im guessing its probably your alternator. But i would take the battery to be checked. Make sure that its fully charged and see how long the car runs for.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 AM

yea i would have to say that its ur alternator too. sounds like it to me for sure

Quick Reply: new 95 eclipse owner, car won't start!