2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New car??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Default New car??

So, here I sit, looking for a new car.

I have decided that of all the cars that are around, I like the 2g Eclipse / eagle talon the best and am doing a little research on them. I would like to hear from people who own them about the good, the bad and the ugly. Mostly, since in will be buying second hand (at least) i need to know what to look for. Are there any major flaws in these cars? anything that seems to be common issues? etc....

Next, the question is which model to acquire. I want the turbo (of course) and am not such a fan of FWD cars so I figured these cars would be great because they come in an AWD model. I know, though, for example that the Stealth VR-4 and the equivalent Mitsubishi have some real issues with the transmission in their AWD cars so i decided to steer clear of that model.

Obviously, as far as mods go, this car has plenty out there to look for. How readily are parts available though for these cars that are quickly getting on 10 years old? are you guys having any trouble getting parts?

Last but not least, I have noticed that on this forum, there is alot of talk about engines. Replacements seem to be common place and I cant say that I understand the designations that are being used. What exactly are the differences in the engines between years and generations? Are they mostly compatible?

Any comments would be of great help.

Jezzder

Old 03-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Default RE: New car??

The engines in the 2G are known to have a problem with the crank walking and that motor is known as the 7 bolt reffering to the # of bolt on the flywheel. the 1G 90-92 motor is a 6 bolt and doesnt have the problem so many 2G owners swap in the 6 bolt motor. as ofr the AWD it is not anywhere as bad as the things I hear about VR4s. I have seen a 91 GSX take some major abuse I mean constant 6-7k launches almost daily

read these https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_32929/tm.htm
https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_42332/tm.htm

Old 03-09-2006, 10:12 PM

Whatever you do, don't get the automatic... Ive had 2 2nd gen eclipses, (a 99, and a 98). The 98 is an automatic and Ive had tranny problems off and on... The 99 was a manual, and I could beat on that thing and have as much fun as I wanted... Only thing I had to replace was the powersteering pump... Ive absolutely loved these cars though..

Old 03-09-2006, 10:29 PM

All mitsu DSM trannys are fussy they always break when you make any power anyway lol. I have known more DSM owners whos trannys break before they are even close to crankwalk lol

Old 03-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I owned a talon tsi-awd and i loved it, even though i had always had to fix **** with it. Its a fun car to drive around and kill all those rices honda's and mustangs.
When going to look at the car the things to check for would be for any major rust in the engine bay. Make sure you check the suspension, as you would with any car. Take it for a test drive and beat on it a bit to make sure there are no major flaws there (power loss, strange noises, ect.). If you get an awd check underneath at the transfer case to make sure there is no signs of leaking.
For the aftermarket, don't worry at all, that is definetly something that the dsm world provides heavily is aftermarket parts.