2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New car... broken motor! What now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:20 AM
Default New car... broken motor! What now?

ok, so I havn't been on here in forever but I'm back here to stay. Right now I got a Greddy twin turbo G35 with built internals that I'm getting ready to put under the knife once again so I can drop a fully built VH45DE (Infiniti Q45 V8) into it and slap a pair of twins on it. Of course, this project will take a few months and I've been on the hunt for a daily driver and coincidence has it I ended up getting a 1995 Eclipse GSX for an unbelievable deal this morning. Only problem is the motor is blown and its got an automatic tranny. I wanna rebuild the motor and swap to 5MT.

I know tons about nissans but I have no clue what works best on these cars. Anyone got any suggestions as to what internals to get? Also, does anyone have these parts that they might want to sell?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New car... broken motor! What now?

where are you located. And what exactly happened to the car. One thing i would definetly do is a 6-bolt swap. Since your gonna be starting over its the best thing to do. Will help with crankwalk and bring up the value of the car later down the road. How much did you end up paying also. And depending on how far away from me you are you might be interested in my 6-bolt short block that i have sitting around. Im looking for $100 for it. Here is some info on the swap. http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/1gina2g.pdfand if you end up just going with the 7-bolt thats in there now then i would go with some forged 8.5:1 pistons from either JE, ross, or wiseco and then some nice eagle or crower connecting rods. If you want to build it up that is

Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 AM

do you plan on mod'ing the car at all? if it's going to be a stock daily driver i'd just rebuild the bottom end with stock internals, they will hold 400-450whp if you ever do decide to throw a lil 16g on there or something.I would definatly go with a 6 bolt motor, they are relatively cheap (as you can see from TheEngineer's price) and don't cost much to convert. As for swapping it to a 5spd MT... you'll need trani, shift linkage, clutch, flywheel, shifter, and new ECU. i may be forgetting something in there but i'm sure somebody will catch it. THAT is not a cheap swap. if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:18 AM

well I got the car for free. This guy I installed some springs for had two 95 gsx's in his house and just wanted them out of there.
I'm thinking of building up the motor just because I'm going to have to rip the motor apart it would be a shame not to throw some forged internals in. I'm in Orlando by the way... Is that close enough to you? Does anyone here have a manual tranny they wanna sell?

I believe the motor has a lifted head and damage to cylinder#3. Later on today I'll be ripping the motor apart to see how bad things are.

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

where are you located. And what exactly happened to the car. One thing i would definetly do is a 6-bolt swap. Since your gonna be starting over its the best thing to do. Will help with crankwalk and bring up the value of the car later down the road. How much did you end up paying also. And depending on how far away from me you are you might be interested in my 6-bolt short block that i have sitting around. Im looking for $100 for it. Here is some info on the swap. http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/1gina2g.pdfand if you end up just going with the 7-bolt thats in there now then i would go with some forged 8.5:1 pistons from either JE, ross, or wiseco and then some nice eagle or crower connecting rods. If you want to build it up that is

Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Can you hook me up with that other gsx? I've been looking for a new DSM.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

these are the parts i can sell to you. But i really have no idea what shipping on the stuff would be like:

6-bolt 4g63 short block w/internals - $100
Galant VR-4 22 spline tranny and t-case - $400

Old 03-15-2007, 09:18 PM

I'll post pics later this evening.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:50 AM
Old 03-16-2007, 01:57 AM

Jesus Christ that wing on the silver one is god awful!

Old 03-16-2007, 03:10 AM

yeah, I think that's the 1st thing that'll be coming off the car. I can't believe people still rice cars out like this. Its so 1999[:'(]

Quick Reply: New car... broken motor! What now?