2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New Comer

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Default New Comer

Hi everyone, very nice forum here. I decide to join the mitsubishi family, but need some help here first.
I want to buy an Eclipse, either the 95-99 generation or the 2000-2004.
As for the older generation, I prefer the one that has no turbocharger on it, but for the newer one, I would like to have V6 on it. What do you guyz think about it compare to the 4 cyclinders.
I heard people say that the older generation always has the oil leak problem and the newer generation has the radiator over heat issue, is it true?
Besides this two questions, for you all eclipse drivers, what do you think about the good side and bad side of this car, such as mpg, audio system, interior material or even the convertiable top( please try to be netural).
Appreciate for any responses.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned
Default RE: New Comer

This has been discussed, just do a search.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:52 PM

00-05 Eclipses dont over heat I have had 2 never once had radiator trouble. They are good daily driver cars but not good if you want fast (espcially the V6) The 4 cyl is easier to make fast and toss on a turbo other wise N\A the V6 is good. the older years and better for makeing fast cars just research crankwalk that is the only major flaw mainly with them.

As for stereo stock in the 95-99 CD players are known to barley ever work and sound is decent. in the 00-05 all have a bad center speaker up on top of the dash it always blows out. the V6 comes with a 210Watt amp and the 4cyl has a 140watt amp. some V6s have a 4 or 6 disk changer and it will skip on alot of lightly scratched cds (If they arnt brand new they will likely skip). all 00-05 have weak Motor mounts if you floor it all the time they will go bad and if you race the car or spin the tires the top of the dash board will most likey crack alot of eclipses from the year range have cracked dashes (neither of mine did though I just had bad motor mounts in both) the sunroof in all years are sometimes fussy and dont like to close all the way unless you press the button 4-5 times (really not a big deal)

Old 02-17-2006, 06:15 PM

I personally have loved my eclipses... I had a 99 GS, Didnt have a lot of power, but was fun to drive... And now I have a 98 GST Spyder.. This car has given me a lot of problems with the transmission.. But other then that, when its running good Its a blast to drive.. I would the Turbo Charged eclipses 95-99 to anyone... As for the other years.. Ive never had one but I havnt heard to many bad things about them..

Old 02-19-2006, 11:12 PM

dude....go 2nd G'S, but why go n/a?? 3 G'S are too heavy and its just...not right to be modified. get a 2nd gen. eclipse and try gst / gsx, its light and fast.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

00-05 Eclipses dont over heat I have had 2 never once had radiator trouble. They are good daily driver cars but not good if you want fast (espcially the V6) The 4 cyl is easier to make fast and toss on a turbo other wise N\A the V6 is good. the older years and better for makeing fast cars just research crankwalk that is the only major flaw mainly with them.

As for stereo stock in the 95-99 CD players are known to barley ever work and sound is decent. in the 00-05 all have a bad center speaker up on top of the dash it always blows out. the V6 comes with a 210Watt amp and the 4cyl has a 140watt amp. some V6s have a 4 or 6 disk changer and it will skip on alot of lightly scratched cds (If they arnt brand new they will likely skip). all 00-05 have weak Motor mounts if you floor it all the time they will go bad and if you race the car or spin the tires the top of the dash board will most likey crack alot of eclipses from the year range have cracked dashes (neither of mine did though I just had bad motor mounts in both) the sunroof in all years are sometimes fussy and dont like to close all the way unless you press the button 4-5 times (really not a big deal)
If he is getting gs/rs he wil not have to worry about crankwalk.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: get435

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

If he is getting gs/rs he wil not have to worry about crankwalk.
I kow that but I had to throw the cranwalk idea out there so he knows before hand

Old 02-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wicked_outlander

dude....go 2nd G'S, but why go n/a?? 3 G'S are too heavy and its just...not right to be modified. get a 2nd gen. eclipse and try gst / gsx, its light and fast.
thats not really true. They are heavier but there are plenty of 3g's that can keep up with a gst or a gsx. Sure stock a 2g turbo will beat a 3g but with a little bit of money a 3g can be just as fast.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:18 PM

I personally would get a 3g rs. Then throw a turbo kit on it. That or a 1g gsx. But thats my personaly opnion. The 420a is a good motor, yathey tend to leek a bit of oil but what car dosent. MY beater needs a quart of oil every time i get gas.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:01 PM

Thanks for all reply, the car basically is for daily driving but i love to do modify
this week i am going around all the places, hopefully i can find my right eclipse.