2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New Eclipse Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Default RE: New Eclipse Owner

ORIGINAL: Sebba

The hell with gauruntee. Are you getting a warrenty with it?
Its comes the remainder of 5 year warranty. Apparently they only give the 10 year warranty to brand new cars, it doesnt apply to the used ones. And even if it did, because i'm in canada, when the car crosses the border, supposedly it loses the 10 year warranty unless its manufactured in canada.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: 2insane

The vehicle is a rental vehicle. Don't get the car at all for several reasons. 1- Rental Car. 2 Texas Car. 3- Major Miles. 4- Damage. The reasons are pretty basic and those are red flags for any car. Be patiant and the right car will come up for you. Don't jump into this one. I sell cars and know..lol. Good Luck!!!
well this is where i'm stuck. I don't have proof it was a rental. Fleet could mean anything... companies rent 'fleet' vehicles for their staff, or for company use, or as rentals. Is there a way to find out exactly what it was used for or insured as? I'm not all that worried about the mileage, i only put 10-15,000 kilometers (whatever that is in miles) on a car a year, so eventually it would still be under average. The other thing, there was a "wells fargo" sticker on the car. I know they're a finance company... but what does that mean? Could it be a repo? Either way, im still taking it to a mechanic on my test drive to get an honest unbiased opinion which i think is the best possible thing I can do at this point.

Also, as far as waiting, I have. I've waited 2 years to get an eclipse, and I specifically waited for the newer models to come out. You have no idea how difficult it is to come across these cars where I live. There's one dealership in my whole province, the next one is atleast 5 hours away and i've called. They've had nothing for 06's come in either.

And the only reason why I know this car was damaged was because i SAW it. If the dealership had their way, they would have fixed it all up before showing it to me, but I lucked out and saw it in the lot before they had the chance to do it. Otherwise I would have never known, and the carfax says nothing.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:37 PM

First, I don't know how your canadian dollars relate to american but I bought an 06 Eclipse GT from the dealership where I work and it cost me $19,000. Anyone else would have paid $23,000. It had 12,000 miles when I bought it . We got it on a trade.

If you mean $24,000 for the 4 cyl. GS it's too much. Especially with damage.

Furthermore, if it was a fleet or rental vehicle your warranty is voided. That means you have no warranty. Contact Mitsubishi and ask to run your VIN number to verify if it will still be covered under warranty.

Is it a stick or automatic.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:01 AM

The price is similar when you convert it, then we also have different taxes, and of course we have to pay border fees when it crosses the border, so they work that into the cost of the vehicle as well. Basically: We pay more in canada regardless... unless of course it was made here but unless you buy brand new, they're hard to come buy used. Example at todays exchange rate JUST for the price of the car $23,000 US = $26,452.20 Canadian + taxes + other bull**** fees. Brand new they're charging that for a BASE model GS. That doesn't include the sun & sound package. Brand new GT you're looking at $30,000 canadian + taxes (13%). So it kinda makes sense that I'm paying almost $26,000 after taxes and crap for a used 2006 GS with package, auto tranny. 17000 miles (28,000kms in canada).

I also did some reserach today and called the place they got the car from (Wells fargo apparently). They ran the VIN number for me, and told me that yes, it was leased as a personal vehicle and they knew nothing about it being a fleet vehicle. The guy reassured me it wasn't leased as a rental, but his word means nothing to me. They said that the car was repo'd from the previous owner then sold at auction. They don't know if he had an accident or what happened between the time they repo'd it and the time it was sold.

As for the damage, i realize its a damaged car, but they are fixing it. They're replacing the front bumper for sure and are deciding on weather to replace the hood, which I am going to tell them to do. They will also have to re-paint the whole car because of this. It's almost like getting a brand new body put on it. They're also safteying it to canadian standards, and installing a block heater (its is VERY cold during winter), command start and alarm.

I went to look at it today again and it looks like someone else or the driver got into an accident, but its not crushed anywhere except for the cracked bumper at the very bottom of the front bumper. There is some scratching at the nose of the car, then very little on the hood, and the hood looks slightly higher on one side but you wouldn't notice if it wasn't pointed out to you. Looks as though maybe someone backed into the car with a truck, or the car rear-ended a truck. Where the scratches are placed, a truck is the only thing i can think of. Looks like the front of the car would have slid under the back of a pick up truck or something.

I'm still going to look into this some more of course but it can't be THAT bad can it? 17000 miles on an 06 GS loaded for $19,980.94 US (plus all our stupid taxes & fees up here). The dealer is offering the remainder of the 5 year warranty because they're selling it as used, and apparently the 10 year warranty still applies to me but ONLY if i get it serviced in the states. So i'd have to go 3 hours south, worst case senerio. I will call mitsubishi motors headquarters though and double check.

ORIGINAL: leedesert

First, I don't know how your canadian dollars relate to american but I bought an 06 Eclipse GT from the dealership where I work and it cost me $19,000. Anyone else would have paid $23,000. It had 12,000 miles when I bought it . We got it on a trade.

If you mean $24,000 for the 4 cyl. GS it's too much. Especially with damage.

Furthermore, if it was a fleet or rental vehicle your warranty is voided. That means you have no warranty. Contact Mitsubishi and ask to run your VIN number to verify if it will still be covered under warranty.

Is it a stick or automatic.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:40 AM

I am not going to get further involved with this. You have made your desicion already..lol. Good luck with your new car!

Old 12-10-2006, 08:55 AM

Thank you for your input.