2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New eclipse owner, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Default New eclipse owner, need advice

I just recently purchased a 5 speed 95 Eclipse (not sure if its a RS or GS - debadged) for $1500 that runs like a champ and looks great (rebuilt engine, somewhat new paint), although I will need to replace the struts soon. I need your opinion on some things.

I was considering possibly selling this car for a profit ( than upgrading to a 2g GSX since its AWD Turbo, but I'm not sure if its needed. I love the 2g bodystyle but I'm not much of a speeder, I don't race or anything, but I've heard alot of bad things about the non-turbo engine. How slow is it exactly, such as what other cars would be in its category when it comes to speed. I owned an e36 BMW 325i which was fine for me, how does this compare?

I think the main reason I would want to upgrade to a GSX is cause of the AWD but from what i've seen, the car handles satisfactory for a FWD car.

So accounting for me not the type to race and abuse a car (This car will probably never see 90mph) should I just stick with it and just maintain it with most mods being cosmetic and comfort based?

What would be some good, inexpensive performance mods to make the car run better at daily driving speeds.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Default RE: New eclipse owner, need advice

ORIGINAL: valdez

I just recently purchased a 5 speed 95 Eclipse (not sure if its a RS or GS - debadged) for $1500 that runs like a champ and looks great (rebuilt engine, somewhat new paint), although I will need to replace the struts soon. I need your opinion on some things.

I was considering possibly selling this car for a profit ( than upgrading to a 2g GSX since its AWD Turbo, but I'm not sure if its needed. I love the 2g bodystyle but I'm not much of a speeder, I don't race or anything, but I've heard alot of bad things about the non-turbo engine. How slow is it exactly, such as what other cars would be in its category when it comes to speed. I owned an e36 BMW 325i which was fine for me, how does this compare?

I think the main reason I would want to upgrade to a GSX is cause of the AWD but from what i've seen, the car handles satisfactory for a FWD car.

So accounting for me not the type to race and abuse a car (This car will probably never see 90mph) should I just stick with it and just maintain it with most mods being cosmetic and comfort based?

What would be some good, inexpensive performance mods to make the car run better at daily driving speeds.
Well, the 420a motor is a great motor to get you from point A to B. It's true that the GSX can be a powerful car, but that's where terms get mixed up. It's not about how fast a car can go in the states, it's about how fast you can get to a certain speed or point. The 4g63 motor is a strong motor, but once you get past its factory specs (as with any motor), reliability becomes an issue. In its stock form a GSX will give you the power to pass a car going uphill, or on a straight plane, when you call for it, if at all. The RS/GS will make wish you had more power under the same situations. The non-turbo 2Gs are 17 second cars, that means that they aren't slow, but that they don't have the power to move that ~2900 lbs body. It's not a bad motor for a DD and there's nothing special about their maintenance issues that aren't shared by their brotheren 4 cylinders from the other car makers.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Default RE: New eclipse owner, need advice

yea dude the car is faster than a stock mustang... for what you want i would say keep it and maintain it well