2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:21 AM
Default new guy

I purchesed a 96 eclipse rs 5 speed. I have added a short shifter and a cold air intake. I have also replaced the radiator support. The previous owner beat on the car a little much without much care to the car. I want to replace the motor and tranny, but dont know much about the turner world but i am decently knowledgeable about working on cars. so if anyone as anyone has any advise or can teach me a little about what i can do it would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Default RE: new guy

There arent many power mods you can do to your car. Just the basic bolt ons(exhaust, intake etc..), If you love your car, and want to keep it, you should concentrate mostly on handling. Springs/shocks or coilovers, strut tower bars, sway bars, camber plates, etc...
Just to clear this up, it is nearly impossible to switch over to a GSX engine or drivetrain, so forget that, and attempting to pull a lot of power out of the engine its ridiculously hard. Im sure rcjr will tell you all about that.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Hey thanks for the advise. I have a lot of guys in my area that are willing to help fabricate and do what is nessacary to swap motors. i would just prefer not to have an awd. i used to have a supra that i used to drift but unfortunatly it was my daily driver as well, and was totaled by a drunk driver. But anyway in my area everyone says to put a 1g turbo into my car and just change the mounts and such. Or just import direct from japan. so im not really sure what to do or can be done. i have the desire and the capability to fabricate anything changes to be done.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

If you're up for the challenge and are interested in some power you might think about a 2JZ swap or something along that line. Perhaps (Since you have fabricators willing) a RWD 2JZ conversion would be rather interesting to see . All depends on the budget you have for the project and if you need it as a daily driver or not.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:38 PM

My whole issue is that the previous owner modded everything, ( exaust, coilover kit, braking kitetc) execpt the engine or tranny. So i would really hate to get rid of the car. As for a 2jz thats a little extreme at the present time, but not out of the question. But just for now i need a swap thats gonna give me about 450 hp and havea quick enoughgear ratio in the tranny. Just enough to get me racing again. And the shop i brought my supra to to get all the work done to itisno longer in business. So now i have no where to turn but to you guys.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Well looking for 450 + HP... You can easily get that from the 4G63 with a proper build and tuning. Not going to be cheap but it can be done. Another block good for nice amounts of power with little to low amounts of work are the G54B engines. Though you'll likely have to again do a RWD conversion (Not necessarily a bad thing but likely a pain to convert). The G54B with an MPI conversion and a 16G will put probably close if not more than that our.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:16 AM

i bought the car for $1900. Which puts me at about 3000 to purchase a motor, tranny and what ever else is needed. I also planned to build the engine on an engine stand for the winter and install in the spring. Which gives me time to do all the work of buildin up the motor and time to increase my budget at the same time. So with that in mind, what would be my best bet for a tranny and engine swap.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

You just want a straight swap right nothing drastic? I'd say if you have the people to fab the parts, go with the 4G63T. You'll need to get the wiring harness and ECU and trans and half shafts but it's a proven power plant and fairly easy to find. Just remember measure twice and cut once. Also another thing I've seen the pics of it being done is a RWD 4G63T they turned the engine 90 degrees and installed a rear end in it.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:45 AM

Wonder what transmission they used for that setup.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

I really can't remember but it was definately something to see. I believe the guy that owned it lived in Ohio if I'm not mistaken. He tried selling the car on the starquestclub forum...

Quick Reply: new guy