2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

new member/ new to Mistubishi Eclispe...Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Default 1997 Eclipse electrical / engine problems...? (new here)

Hey all... new here... Have some questions about my car
1997 Eclipse 2.0 auto transmission...

First and most important... I'm having a problem with my car after it warms up and maybe driving for about 1/2 hour or so... (intermittent) it tends to just die (electrical) type problem.. the dash lights come on then back off... it will cut off the engine the come right back on... sometimes only once .. sometimes it keeps doing it... It will be idling fine and then go to a rough idle then die.. it always starts right back up... It has new plugs and wires, I cleaned out the butterfly intake area ... just seems to be an electrical problem ..??? It does it even driving 55-65 mph on the highway... more when at an idle...

Second... I believe my FRONT transmission / engine mount is wore out.. causing the engine to raise and when i'm driving , when it shifts the steering tends to go left then right depending on acceleration ... (give gas.. goes to right, let off gas goes to left) ... how hard is it to replace the bushing and will this cause the (left right) problem I described...?

thanks in advance !!!!

Last edited by sweeper2; 12-28-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM

For yur elec. Problems check yur the computer housing/wiring. If the wiring is frayed or its not sitting right it could short causing all sorts of issues.

For yur bushings im assumin u means spindle bushings? Mine are getting replaced on the back end of my 95 and its costing $350-$400 per spindle cuz u cant just replace the bushing, the whole spindle needs replaced.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:13 PM

it's the front transmission, motor mount that has a lot of play in it... causing the motor to shake etc... i want to replace it.. but not sure if the motor has to come out or if i can replace it as is...
and thanks on the computer housing wiring.. will check.... where is the computer located at on a 97 eclipse...?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 PM

We were just discussing this on another thread. Check your Coolant temperature sensor. If it is cracked or green (or any discoloration is present) Change it. About 15.00. I can't help you with the mount. But if it's the front, perhaps once you removed the bolt you could put a jack under the tranny and move it enough to work out the mount...

Old 12-30-2010, 05:10 AM

it looks to have a new coolant temperature sensor... I picked this car up last Friday... and I am pretty good and "hands on" type work... (cars , electrical, etc) .. I've done it all my life... so I am wanting to try and figure this out myself instead of taking it to a shop... the temp stays at 1/2 way on the gauge all the time.. (once it warms up).. the fans seem to kick on and off correctly ... I know the steering and the motor mount(s) have to be done soon... to much play in it .. which in turn I am wondering if the motor mount being so wore out could cause havoc on the way it runs??

Old 12-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Are there wires sitting on the battery

Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 PM

no... besides the ones that go to the car.. (positive / negative cables.. and a couple others hooked to the positive) ...