2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New Owner-1999 GS-T Spyder: Help and Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Default New Owner-1999 GS-T Spyder: Help and Suggestions

Hey, bought it as my first car about two months ago and am pretty happy to be in the import scene. The upgrades are listed below, but i need a little more umph. From what i gather I have a t-25, which apparently is a joke, and id like to somehow be pushing 300-325. Boost control is my current thought, though can someone explain to me other options including switching the turbo. I understand the 16g and 18g are better, what I dont understand is exactly what i would need to do to install one, as well as the price. Right now the car is in the shop getting a new clutch, which i have to say i was kind of disappointed about. After about a month the pedal was stuck in, and dealer says there was some sort of air in the lines, i have no clue im not a mechanic. I tasted my first bit of boost and now im hooked, someone help me with suggestiong please!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Default RE: New Owner-1999 GS-T Spyder: Help and Suggestions

Here are the pictures that the owner had sent me when i was in the process of buying...these things attarct too much attention, at sixteen-years-old im in deep s*** as i got a ticket on 81 last weekend for reckless, 90 in a 65 seems so innocent when the turbo kicks...

[IMG]local://upfiles/15857/D165112F95274EC6BDB6443A72EF8D6E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15857/775FB609A5CD452998FD9E0F050C6BB9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15857/F42DDB8DCB5A4D598A4468B3E7BEDC3B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15857/4C442047E5524D74B77799F644D2F794.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15857/46E14CE0EE424DDBAAED192A5FF0CB97.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM

yeah the t25 is junk, the most popluar upgrade is a big 16g turbo which is capable of around 350hp. with this particular one you get fast spool so it's totally street driveable. and you can usually find them used for around 300 bucks. then you can slap a mbc on it and turn it up a lil bit more than 14 psi. then you can always upgrade intake and exhaust. bigger fuel pump (190lph will do it) injectors,fpr,afc neo, ic pipes and ic,....
what kind of clutch did you put in it? cuz if you wanna hit around 300 it'd be a good idea to upgrade clutches to like an act2100 or 2600. and yeah slapping a boost controller on is the easiest thing you can do, just be careful not to get carried away with it. i slapped a electronic one on my buddies car, and 2 hours later he calls me and tells me he blew the motor. so yeah just don't turn it up too high and you should be good

Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 PM

very clean (keep it that way) lol. so ur looking for a lil umph huh? well the first thing i would recomend is an exhaust. if you are wanting to run 300-325whp than i would suggets 2.75 or 3'. either will suport that just fine. you aren't going to find to terribly much hp out of your car w/o upgrading the turbo. a good suggestion would be to save for an Evo III Big 16g upgrade. that is the largest of the mitsubishi 16g turbo's and can support 380whp very well tuned. the turbo it self is pretty cheap (http://www.turbochargers.com/store/p...products_id=68) and with apx another 1000 you could run and tune this turbo and make 300-325 very earliy.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 PM

since they are replacing the clutch you are putting in a stronger aftermarket one i went with the centerforce dual friction i like i have heard the act 2600 are good too. before getting ahead of yourself with the turbo i would work on getting exhaust, a couple gauges(boost, egt) a good boost controller, and a front mount intercooler. but then again you want 300-350 hp in a GST what are you going to do with that sit at the light and spin?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 PM

First and foremost, thank you all for taking the time to help me out. It is very clean, thank you, which is why I went ahead and bought it. And to answer the question of why I need the boost (three parts): my dbag friends driving jettas and s2000's with stage 2's have no respect for DSM and they need to, second my father's weekend car is an early '90's Lotus Esprit SE and my oldest brother (hes 30) bums around in a 2001 911 and i look like a chump in the family, and last WHY NOT??? I have about the right anount of mooney for this evo 16g turbo thing, but I though turbo kits were like a couple grand, why is is only $600? If I can get everything I need and it will fit and all that for under $1000 i can do it almost immeadiately, please reply as i am really curious. Also, the dealer replaced the clutch and didnt adjust the pedal so within 3 hours of driving to Northern Virginia on 81 the clutch was competely burnt out and they are currently towing it down here to fix. Are these clutches that you all are suggesting "stage 2" or "stage 3", because the dealer had mentioned that it would be a good idea. On that topic, what qualifies as a Stage 2 or stage 3 turbo, my friends say that they have these and from what i understand it has to do with the size, needless to say my t25 probably is like stage negative 20.
Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 PM

now now. lets not get ahead of ourselves. yes a 16g will help but you can't get 300-325whp w/ just a turbo upgrade. you will need ic piping, fmic (front mount intercooler - to cool the air better), bov (blow off valve - Greddy Type S, Greddy Type RS, HKS Super SSQ, Tial BOV), injectors, fuel pump, intake, tuning device and tune and you will be at 300-325 w/ 14-16psi i would think.

also remember this. going in steps is good but running a fmic on a stock t25 will actually bog you down more than it would help you so i would suggest getting the 16g before or at the same time as the FMIC purchase.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 PM

This sounds a little more like what i was thinking of the couple grand area. Which is a possibility in the next sixth months or so. In the meantime, if I were to get the dealer to install boost control while its in there anyway, could i safely get my current hp which is approx. 240 with the upgrades up to 275 safely with upping the boost? That would be great for the time being, but is it safe for the car? I am really fascinated by the culture that surrounds all of this, and I want to be respected in the community. I think I have one of the best bases to start with-the gst and convertible combo has certainly helped fulfill my human neccessities since i got rid of the girlfriend . I dont need to be racing porsche and ferrari style like my family, but i think 275 would give me the right amount of "go" considerig my age and newbie status with all of this. It would be cool to know how some of you guys got your starts, I'm trying to learn to work on the car myself and really turn it into a lifestyle...

Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 PM

yeah i'd slap the fmic,pipes, and turbo in all at once, and yeah i got a gst with a big 16g in it and i jacksh** as far as traction goes, as soon as i step on it it'll spin
welcome to the club my friend and we all pretty much started out how you are right now. most of us either had an elder/friend teach us how to work on cars or just started ripping sh** off and slapping new stuff on and are actually good at it,lol and yeah i hear ya with the fam thing, my gf's dad thinks it's hilarious that his McLaren will wupp my gst so badly it's not even funny. and yeah u're gunna get more respect if ur engine isn't blown ,lol so the 1st3 things i'd do is turbo and exhaust and boost controller, cuz just cuz u got a bigger turbo doesn't mean you gotta use it to it's fullest right away

Old 01-29-2008, 11:11 PM

wow, its all coming together for once...id read all of you all's posts, and it seemed like it was written in latin you know? sounds like ill probably worry less about impressing people with a fat turbo, and concern myself with the overall power and health of the car...after all they all have to work together. recomendations on boost control and exhaust models or brands? how do i get all this done-do it myself, mitsubishi dealer, custom shop? And the difference between "stages" of turbos? Its all coming together now, just these last few questions and hopefully i can call my mechanic tomorrow and tell him whats good with tuning my beast. When I get the car out of the shop (god knows when that'll be) ill be sure to post some pics. I appreciate you all teaching me the ways of the DSM hah.

Quick Reply: New Owner-1999 GS-T Spyder: Help and Suggestions