2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

No Spark...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: No Spark...

What years had the capcitor leak problems? Think that might be the cause of the problem for him? I agree the coil packs are usually the ones that go out first but the capacitor problem is a known issue that has killed many an eclipse.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:03 PM

Capacitor leak is an issue with the 1Gs.
Come to think of it Sebba, I had an issue with that too. One minute it allowed spark, the next it didn't, lol. I removed it, cleaned the connections, and pressed it down tight and also made sure that it was clicking to lock. That solved my issue with spark. You can perhaps check the junk yards...nvm, it'll hard pressed for you to find a junk yard with these cars in them over there.

Anyway, a crank position sensor is usually what gives the ignition components it's ignition timing info. I don't believe we have one called a CPS but rather our motors use the CAS. The 2Gs have two items that work together to give that timing to fire spark and the 1Gs use one.
IMO, it's a good direction to go with the ICM first because it's right there. The two components on the 2g are along side the timing belt and is a PITA to get to without removing the timing belt cover (one way down there, lol) and crank gears (right behind the rear cam wheel). If you have a 6 bolt, then your CAS is on the passenger side of the valve cover. And you know where the coilpack is.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

Its not the CAS because it gets fuel.

So you think it could be the ICM too? So is it the ICM that controls that... or the ECU... thats what im askin.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:47 PM

The ICM does control power to the coils. It either just allows power to flow to the coils or it controls which coils to fire at it's default time setting.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Banned

Ok... now if its not that part what else could it possibly be?

Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 PM

According to the CD manual, the flow goes from the ECU to the ignition power transistor, a capacitor (I believe this is used for noise in the electrical system), the coils, then the wires and plugs. So, if it's not the ICM/IPT, it's the coils or ECU. *<---and the wires/plugs*

Old 12-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned

So where does the ICM fit in all this? I thoguht it went ECU, ICM, Coil, wires, plugs

Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 PM

Ignition control module = Ignition power transistor

Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'd try cleaning the contacts on everything first. Unplug the coil pack and use a nail file to clean them up and some electrical component cleaner spray, clean both sides and make sure they're making good contact (Doesn't take much to kill an electrical signal). And see if that helps as well as checking the plugs and wires.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:09 PM

That's what I did to my IPT/ICM, Sang and it worked. But that was my issue and it was specifically a connection issue.
Sebba's transistor isn't switching from 1+4 and 2+3. Hey Sebba, did the person that checked, do it with the car being turned over?

Quick Reply: No Spark...