2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

oil in the cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Default oil in the cylinder?

I'm beginning to think I've bought a lemon...

my1995 Eclipse RS, 154K miles, 2.0 non-turbo, 5-speed model now has a terrible miss when it is idling (850-900 rpms) or when you press the accelerator to the floor when your going down the road at anywhere from 30-60 MPH.I replaced the IAC module last night without any noticeable difference. I pulled the spark plugs out of the engine and oil ran out of the bottom of all four spark plugs when I lifted them out. The oil was clean.I then inserted a "dip stick" into the spark plug hole down into the cylinder and there was hardly a trace of oilon the stick whenI checked each hole. Is the oil supposed to be in the spark plug hole? What type problem am I looking at now? Please help.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned
Default RE: oil in the cylinder?

Thats the valve cover gasket.

Replace it, then replace the plugs and wires.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 AM

yep,valve cover gasket.simple fix,and cheap too.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Thanks a bunch. That's the best news I've had all week. I'll replace the gasket this weekend. Again, thanks!

Old 07-19-2008, 12:47 AM

Wait, what? There was oil in the cylinder or the spark plug hole? If you mean the spark plug hole, then it's a good chance that your have rotted spark plug seals. If you have oil in the cylinders, then you should also have low compression and a bad cylinder ring(s).
Why are you using the oil level dip stick anyway? A flashlight works better.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 AM

If you do have bad spark plug seals, then buy the kit for the valve cover gasket and seals. You'll have to replace the valve cover gasket because you'll have to lift the cover to get to the seals.

This board error crap is pissing me off!

Old 07-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Banned

^^ amen with the error thing.

From what I understood.... oil in the plug hole.... upon removal of the plug... oil into cylinders.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

^^yea hopefully that was assumed to happen since the oil goes into the cylinder after the spark plug is removed. I agree with them, its just the valve cover gasket. And if the car starts to smoke alot on the first startup after, dont get worried, its just the car burning all that oil that just got dumped into the cylinder.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 AM

I think what happened was what Sebba suggested...oil went into the cylinders when the spark plugs were removed. On Saturday, I installed a new valve cover gasket, new spark plug tube seals, new pvc valve, new plugs, and new wires. I installed a new IAC module earlier in the week.The engine still idles (800-850K, this is down from 12-13K) rough beginning at 8-10 seconds after it is started. The engine never dies because of the rough idle. There is a very small amount of white/gray smoke that comes from the exhaust pipe when the engine is running rough, otherwise there is no smoke.It doesn't seem to be "missing" when you stick your foot in it going down the road, butI can steel feel some roughness when I do that. Any ideas? Thanks to everyone for your help.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

Did you gap the plugs correctly?

Quick Reply: oil in the cylinder?