2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

The oil leak i was talking about....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Default RE: The oil leak i was talking about....

i would check your gaskets and see if they need to be replaced check everything first wipe all the oil off and check to see where its leaking at
check the bolts around that area and tighten if loose if leak persists replace gasket
iff all else fails take it to a shop and see if they can find the problem
this is from experence im not a mechanic but i owned a 94 ford tempo with a bad trannie leak i replaced the gasket and tightened the bolts and the leak stopped
i own a 94 eclipse gs now and i have no problems with it as far as leaks

Old 02-18-2007, 01:18 AM

Well the leak is definitely somewhere above the turbo area... So i dont think it will be the tranny, but i'll check.. THANKS!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:54 AM

the trannie leak i was referring to was on my tempo it had no importance to your car. it was just where i had my experence
you would be better off disregarding the partabouut the trannie.
check all your turbo gaskets and any gaskets in that region if none of them need replacing you probably have a small crack somewhere wash everything off and check for fresh oil after the wash. locate the leak and if its a gasket tighten all the bolts. if the leak persists replace the gasket.
if that doesnt work take it to a shop and have them look at it
this is just my philosophy if all else fails blow it up and get a new engine

Old 02-18-2007, 05:38 AM

do what i did, goto autozone, get a whole bunch of engine degreaser, spray the hell out of it, wash it down, let it dry, take it for a quick run and try to see where the oil is coming from. if nothing else you could atleast narrow it down to a certain area

Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 AM

Well, damn Firefox crapped on me and I had a bunch of stuff typed out...

So, I'll just summarize it.
I agree with Simss. There is just tooooooo much oil to really find the originating trail, if you will. I will say that I suspect the head gasket. I don't believe the fluids to have mixed though. Check your coolant for oil and oil for coolant, just in case. It could still be a bunch of other things too...oil flows everywhere in motors and that doesn't make oil leaks any easier to find. Plus it's oil, lol.
The oil pan looks to be have too much oil too, especially for a car that has wind flow underneath it. The oil that I see in the pics of the oil pan shouldn't have that much oil still resting on the ridge like that. Wind would blow that all over the place. Did you happen to fiddle with the oil pan at all? I don't think you did, but I better ask.
I also noticed, either, a missing head of a bolt or a missing bolt on the oil return line. I don't believe that to be the leaky item though, because the exhaust housing would have residue on it (even as hot as they get).
Where is your oil feed line coming from? The head or the oil filter area? Did you use all new copper gaskets?
Does the leak start at the valve cover? If you suspect that, wipe the sides off and have someone rev it or you can...it would just be easier to see oil leaking and in realtime. Oil can leak out of the valve cover, although, that's a lot of oil for a leaky cover gasket.
Use a flashlight (even during the day) and look for stream lines of oil, that's an indication of the leak, lol.
You didn't, by chance, crack the head did you, or even the machinist?
Ok, that's all for now

Old 02-18-2007, 04:40 PM

I dont think i cracked the head... (now that scares me) I torque the head studs at 72 lbs.

Now the valve cover gasket. I am too afraid to tighten it down too much because I don't want to crack the valve cover AGAIN. I cracked one already.

I guess I am going to spray it down with lots of engine degreaser, wash it off, and then have someone rev it. Which reminds me, I can rev it all the way as I use to. It wont let me rev it past like 5k rpms (maybe higher). Could this have something to do with it?

Old 02-18-2007, 04:48 PM

woah you cant rev your car past 5000rpm? is this when driving or when sitting in the driveway or both even?
i had a problem where i couldnt rev past 5k but thats because my intercooler wasnt connected up =P hmm..

Old 02-18-2007, 05:00 PM

LOL! I feel like a dumbass now. yes i can rev it now, it was back when i had a boost leak! LOL! Sorry guys..

Old 02-22-2007, 03:43 AM

Sorry to bring this up again, but i found out that 72lb of torque might have been too much. could this cause an oil leak somehow?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:34 AM

not that i can think of... it would take a hell of a lot more than that to break or snap a head gasket i think. have you taken the valve cover off and retightened the head bolts yet? is the oil coming from the same place you mentioned in the beginning of this post?

Quick Reply: The oil leak i was talking about....