2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

plan twice bulid once

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Default plan twice bulid once

hey im really new to mitsubishi. I just bought a beat up 95 eclipse rs 5 speed. The car needs a new paint job and some dents taking out also needs a new interior. and now that im a college student i have sometime to do the work but i want to do some reseach first the first question i have is what years can i get parts from??? and is there any little tricks i should know about other then the basic if anyboby has any tips or anything it would be nice

Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned
Default RE: plan twice bulid once

Well the years would be 95-99. Also keep in mind that the stock head gasket was only clamped to 50lbs... so some time down the line your head gasket WILL blow.

Also, dont buy anything ebay related. The non engine stuff is ok. I guess i shouldnt say that.. there are some decent companies on there that sell whole engines and they are decent... but the people selling 'performance' parts.... thats a no no .

Your engine code is 420a. Not to be confused with the Neon motor 420a... .they are different.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2007, 08:01 PM

first question! what are you loooking for out of this car? if you are looking for performance, sell it. being a college student, not to knock on you, but you can't afford it, you are looking at a minimum of about 3k to make your car 200whp. and you can't go any higher than that until you build your block... looking at another 1k-1200. so just to get that out of the way. if you are looking for a good show/looks car, you are in the right department. ebay has a lot of body parts (i have bought just about all my exterior parts off ebay) also look at slowboyracing.com, andysautoshop.com, cimotorsports.net, stillen.com, horsepowerfreaks.com, and cardomain.com. i have about 35 sites saved on my other computer i can list them all day long, basically all you have to do is yahoo "2g eclipse parts" and it'll come up w/ unlimited sites.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:26 PM

hey thanks alot o and RCJr9186its not really for performance im going to put cold air and full exhaust coilovers just simple things but thanks for the help got alot to learn about mitsubishi im a ford guy but cant afford gas or insurance for a mustang lol

Old 01-30-2007, 11:41 PM

Hey xsoilder06 i am also new here and like you just purchased a 96 rs 5 speed about six to eight months ago. So far i have coilovers cold air intake. And a exhaust. I replaced the clutch, but kept it stock due to something i heard about crankwalk. But i want to swap the motor to get a lot more horsepower then what i got, and from what i gather there aren't any decent options. And thebest thing left to do is to buy a gst or a gsx.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

There is nothing to swap it out with really.... also its the 95-99 GST and GSX that get crankwalk. The engine you have is the 420a that does not get crankwalk.

Also, i have to say that i have only ever seen ONE crankwalk case ever. The term crankwalk is soo over used... .so dont fear it.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

sebba there have been ALOT of cases. I think iv heard of even like 3 on these boards, and a kid in my town had it happen to him, and i know my talon was only about a year away from it also.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 AM

well... yes it is not all that common but there is always that risk, i do think that we build it up a lil to much b/ca 7bolt can take a $hit load of punnishment before it will begin to walk...

Old 01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

Well mostly Engineer its spun bearings... not the crank itself. I really have only seen one true case of crankwalk here.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

crankwalk is bearing failure. But anyways, he doesnt have to worry about it

Quick Reply: plan twice bulid once