2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Proposed Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Default Proposed Mods

Ok so Sebba asked for a list of mods that I plan on doin and here it is. It's not complete by any means and if you see any mistakes please correct me and lead me down the right path to DSM perfection. I am very open to suggestions as I want this done right the first time. By the way I don't want to run NOS.

DSMLink
Various gauges including oil pressure, oil temp, water temp,vac,ect...
ARP Head stud kit
Hahn or Forced Performance 20G Turbo
Hahn Turbo Manifold
JE .20 Over Pistons and Rings
Crower or Eagle Rods
Cometic Head Gasket
DSM Performance Revised Lifters
Crower 272 or HKS 264/272 Camshafts
Crower Springs/Retainers
Crower Valves
Apexi GT Spec Exhaust and Downpipe

That's all I have so far.
Any suggestions on the following would be helpful:
Injectors
3 Angle Valve Job (is it good/bad idea? not sure what it is/does.)
Crankshaft
Cam Gears
Lightweight Pulleys
Intercooler and Piping
Blow Off Valve
External Wastegate
Intake
Clutch
Brakes
Suspension
And anything I'm missing. I just want it done right.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned
Default RE: Proposed Mods

For your gauges your going to need a wideband and a boost gauge. Just to clarify, the wideband displays your live a/f ratio and allows you to tune the DSMLink. Also an EGT. Vac is displayed on a boost gauge.

Injectors, something like 700ish cc will be ok. I personally recomend Denso.

The 3 angle valve job is not 100% mandatory. Its a process of finnishing the valves.

For the crank, Well if your going to buy a pre-built forged block then i would say get a 6 bolt (remember, you need some parts to do the swap) You need to decide if you want to go for a 2.3 or stick with the 2.0.

Cam gears are a nice thing to have... but not 100% mandatory, again.

Light weight pullys.... nah

Intercooler and piping: Well Buschur Racings intercooler and piping is very nice. I recomend them.

For the blow off valve, i recomend the Greddy Type RS with a recirculation kit. Not for the sound.. but for the functionality.

External wastegate: Go with Tial. 40mm should be decent.

Intake... what ever just as long as its not from eBay and it has the 'dump tube' on it.

Clutch: ACT 2600 is nice... if you want that little extra security and have a strong left foot... go with a 2900. Flywheel recomended (Fidanza)

Brakes... if you want to stick with stock calipers then just get brembo rotors. If you want to change the calipers too... Baer makes GREAT brakes. Also AEM makes awesome brakes. Brembo are a little pricey...

Suspension... not my field. I wouldnt be able to give you any useful information.

I think your missing o2 housing... thats a good idea.

Maybe a B&M short shifter... just for ****s n giggles.

You forgot the fuel pump! Walbro 255lph + a fuel pressure regulator (set to 43psi)

For the cams, go with 272s.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 AM

I agree with Sebba..to add on to his...
ORIGINAL: 95420A

Ok so Sebba asked for a list of mods that I plan on doin and here it is. It's not complete by any means and if you see any mistakes please correct me and lead me down the right path to DSM perfection. I am very open to suggestions as I want this done right the first time. By the way I don't want to run NOS.

DSMLink
Various gauges including oil pressure, oil temp, water temp,vac,ect...
ARP Head stud kit
Hahn or Forced Performance 20G Turbo - I would skip the 20G and go straight for a 50 trim. It costs less and is more efficient.
Hahn Turbo Manifold - port you 2g manifold or go with a tubular
JE .20 Over Pistons and Rings
Crower or Eagle Rods
Cometic Head Gasket
DSM Performance Revised Lifters
Crower 272 or HKS 264/272 Camshafts - 262/272 is a good combo
Crower Springs/Retainers
Crower Valves
Apexi GT Spec Exhaust and Downpipe - as Sebz stated, don't forget an o2 housing

That's all I have so far.
Any suggestions on the following would be helpful:
Injectors - You can go up to 1000cc with DSMLink. It will be able to control them as easy as stock 450cc injectors. Bigger is better in this case because you will have a motor capable of more than what a 20G or 50 trim will give you. My suggestion would be 1000cc so that you won't have to rechip your ECU for a larger set of injectors.
...and don't forget fuel pump, high pressure Waly 255. Perhaps upgrade the fuel line from the tank and to the tank.
3 Angle Valve Job (is it good/bad idea? not sure what it is/does.)
Crankshaft - are you getting a block from a shop prebuilt/prepackaged or are you having it built at a local shop?
Cam Gears -you can do this later
Lightweight Pulleys - ...as per Sebz statement
Intercooler and Piping - short route for optimum pressure and velocity. In your case, bigger is better again for core choices.
Blow Off Valve - ..as per Sebz statement
External Wastegate - ..as per Sebz statement...I'd recommend an external dump tube over an internal dump.
Intake - a nice shiny SMIM from a reputable company is fine
Clutch - ..as per Sebz statement
Brakes - Any of the big brake conversions...Wilwood is another one that wasn't mentioned...otherwise - ..as per Sebz statement
Suspension - how crazy do you want to go on this topic? What's your car going to be used for? Daily, twisties, or 1/4 mile track?
And anything I'm missing. I just want it done right.
That's about all that I can think of at the moment, but get back with us about the stuff I don't have recommendations for.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 AM

yea definately get an EGT gauge, i ran mine 11.0:1 a/f ratioand still managed to melt the turbo to hell.
now i got the motor apart (AGAIN)to fix it so i can sell the car[>:]

Old 06-06-2007, 05:45 AM

It's mainly going to be a daily driver with occassional track/1/4 mile use in the future. See I knew I was forgeting some stuff and thats why I come to you guys. I haven't decided yet whether or not I'm gonna get a prefinished block or take one to a machine shop. If Ichoose a prefinished one I'll go with Buschur. As for the 50 Trim does anybody have any suggestions on a good reliable barand. Thanks again guys.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

Garrett makes bad *** turbos. Turbo technics makes bad *** turbos. Forced performance, SlowBoyRacing.... sooo many.

I agree with everything Silvercoupe said.

My advice would be to go with a prebuilt block... maybe even the same with the head. They pick these combos of parts because they know they work well together. Maybe a long block then... (includes block and head together)

Old 06-06-2007, 12:34 PM

i'm not sure if you've gotten the once over yet but.... you do know that you are looking at about 5-6k in parts there right? along with tuning and some other lil nickles and dimes? oh andalso the 420aECU does not suport DSMLink. ur s/n says 95420a so i'm assuming that you have a 420a. my recomendation would be to sell your rs or gs for 3 or 4k... + or - depending on the shape. save 2k and get a gs-t or gsx. its much cheaper if you do it this way and you get a much better power plant and you wont' have to rebuild the bottom end for a long time. and if you do have a gs-t or gsx... sorry. but why would you make ur s/n 95420a??? lol ironic lol

Old 06-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

No hes talking about a 2gT : )

Old 06-06-2007, 12:54 PM

haha, that's getting everybody!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:56 PM

noted. well in that case i agree w/ Sebba and Silver atw on this. how much power are you looking to run? w/ a nice 50 trim w/ all suporting mods.. you could be up in the 450-475whp range w/ a good tune

Quick Reply: Proposed Mods