2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

pullys on my car are not moving

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 AM
Default pullys on my car are not moving

hey guys i dont really know how to explain what is happening to my car but the other day i was driveing and everything turned off and the car died then i got a jup from som guy and i noticed that all the belt were spining really slow even when i rev up the engin the belt stay at the same speed i dont have any clue as to what could be wrong with th car but nothing is working because the alternator isnt charging the battery so the battery died and since everything in the car even the moter need electricity to run nothing works so if anybody know why the belts would be doing that plz help ?

Old 01-05-2007, 03:01 AM
Default RE: pullys on my car are not moving

Is the belt tight? if it is then take it off and most likely the water pump or alternator locked up. possibly the power steering pump.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:22 AM

well they all still spin just not fast enough for the alternator to work

Old 01-05-2007, 05:02 AM

ok is the belt tight? have you taken it off? is anything locked up that could drag the belt and cause it to turn slow? i cant help you if you repeat yourself and dont explain with some detail and look at it. go check it out, take the belt off and turn evrything by hand and get back to me. or tighten the belt.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:15 AM

yeas i took all three belts off th check if they had strethched or had cracks in them or anything of that sort and the didnt and while they were all off i turned the water pump, alternator, power steering pump, and a/c compresor and they all spun freely

Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 AM

and yes they were all tight when i took them off

Old 01-05-2007, 08:31 AM

what motor do you have? 420a or 4g63? 420a if the bolt comes loose in the center of the crank the crank pulley will just freespin on it, and usually does some damage to the pulley. i dont think a 4g63 can do that without losing 4 bolts and a roll pin then the pulley would just fall off anyway. Thats how my 1g 6 bolt is anyway not sure if they changed it from there, check out your crank pulley and make sure its not slipping on the crank.
... wait you said the water pump turns free must be a 4g63 cuz the 420a the pump runs off the timing belt...

Old 01-05-2007, 06:16 PM

yes it is a 4g63 i will look at the crank pully today and see if there is anything wrong with it thanks for the help

Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM

well didn't he say the alternator is nto charging the battery. check ur alternator.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:54 AM

i got it fixedthe crank pully was all messed up and mangled so i went and bought a new one and it fixed everything thanks for the help

Quick Reply: pullys on my car are not moving