2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Quick Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Default Quick Mods

I was looking for a short shifter and a performance exhaust for my eclipse and I came across a JDM short shifter - Any one know anything about the brand or would recommend another brand? Also I couldn't really find exhausts other than Magnaflow, does any one know other a better brand? Thanks for any advice!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Default RE: Quick Mods

you own a 420a right?..... get yourself a nice tuneup, get the engine in shape, buy yourself a catback and a cai and call it a day... other than that will kill all reliability on your car and will be expensive....
As for catbacks there are quite a few just look around.... on the forums we talk about a few sites you can get it
http://www.cimotorsports.net/
As for the shortshifter... i wouldnt really trust a JDM, cuz that stands up for japanese domestic market... and im highly possitive the eclipses dont have one... theyre us based, again look around in these sites
Good luck

Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 PM

Thanks a ton for the information, I didn't plan to do a lot for it because it's onlt the RS style - I'll be sure to check the website out and thanks for the advice about JDM!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:42 PM

I was looking at Exhausts and I came across the brands OBX and Vibrant.. I've heard of OBX before for exhaust but not so much on Vibrant - Should I just stick with the OBX brand?

--Also I forgot to mention about the CAI - I found a brand named HPS, any advice or info on them? Reason was that they have a 3" CAI system that can switch to Short Ram from CAI if needed,, which is nice since it can get a little bad with rain where I live - Any advice on this? Thanks!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM

Yeah... if you have a 420a and youre not making big money yet focus on reliability... a good setup well done and a healthy engine will beat the ocassional ricer on the road. (Lets be honest... most ppl is what they want). You should be able to move a lil bit higher than average... and if you want speed switch to a 4g63 based car, or turbo de 420a. 4g63 is nice not that expensive, 420a is a pain and expensive.... if not done right bye bye engine.

PS> according to the japanese wikipedia the eclipse was never released in japan, so anything truly jdm.... its not something id vouch for..

Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 PM

Yea, my plans were to go with the 420a and depending how well I like working with eclipses I would move up to nicer and better models -- So it's like a newbie run for me haha, and just trying to start off on the right steps. -- Thank you for the info., much appreciated!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 PM

I was looking through Intakes and came across a "EGR Block off Kit" - It's ment to remove and block the EGR Valve becuase the EGR valve can make your 'intake filthy plus they recirculate those hot exhaust gasses back into your intake manifold' -- Any thoughts about that?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 PM

Do a search on that... thats basically explained in much more detail... what the egr does is cool and recycle glasses... so you have better emission control.... and affects your mileage somehow... i believe it gives you more mileage... it all depends on you basically... most of the times is a part that gets screwed up fairly easily

Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 AM

Thanks about the EGR, I searched around for it and it's something I don't really want to mess around with right now. I just stuck with an Short Ram (because the CAI that came with the car got pretty much destroyed and torn up some how) and Cat Back exhaust. Ordered from the site you mentioned and should have the parts in 1-5 days Thanks again for all the help!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 AM

I'm not an expert but you might just want to change your shifter bushings instead of throwing on a short shifter. I know a lot of people love the short shifters, but I know a few who say it is overkill. It does depend on what you are trying to do tho. I was going to throw a short throw on my ride, but am opting for just changing the bushings. Then again, my car is a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Quick Mods