2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

how well does the gsx handle snow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Default how well does the gsx handle snow?

so i am looking at a 2nd generation gsx. i currently own a neon srt-4 and a caliber srt-4. i have always wanted a gsx, but never could find a decent one around in minnesota. i finally have found a few and am considering trading in my neon srt-4 for one. my big question is how well do the gsx handle the snow. i know theres not much ground clearance, but still should be able to handle its own right? both my caliber and neon run great in the snow, not as great as my bro's audi quattro system, but it goes through well until the clearance becomes and issue. so can anyone please give me some insight of how well the AWD system works, and maybe concerns i should look out for, and maybe general problems i will run into with these systems. i can only go off of audi's Quattro system because we have had them for years, and although audi's are expensive things to maint, ive never seen a single issue with the AWD system, more so in other areas. thanks in advance!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

They are awesome in the snow. Great handling, very difficult to lose control with. The only problem that happens sometimes is the seals on the transfer case will leak. Other than that the awd system is solid. Its pretty basic in design so there really isnt much that will go wrong

Old 08-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I drove my tsi last winter in abt 6" of snow and had no issues. Its was actually a lot of fun.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:52 PM

thanks guys i appreciate your help

Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM

freaking amazing... the worst snow last winter i had my tsi awd and had to drive this girl home, i was driving down the road and there were cars in the ditch all around me, and i mean it.... all around me, traffic was moving at a rate of about 4 mph and at that speed, the jeep charokee (or however you spell it) right in front of me hit his brakes, it slid a little sideways, they tried to correct and failed. went in the ditch at 4 miles per hour... the antilocks in my car kept me from failing in the same way and downshifting helped me slow well enough to stay back from the traffic, got the girl home and she wouldn't let me leave because the weather was so bad needless to say, it was a good night.

morale of the story, if you drive a gsx/tsi awd... you will get laid lol
but really they are extremely impressive in snow rain etc.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 AM

don't let that make you cocky though, excessive speed in the snow, in any car, will create problems. I got cocky once.. thinking "I have AWD" and it didn't end well.