2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Recs for diy & general info?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Default Recs for diy & general info?

Hi.
My sister-in-law's 1991 Eclipse GS-T barely runs - the dealer said her turbo's shot, and quoted $3000.
I'm a long-time DIYer, so I'm hopeful that we can get her car back on the road for a fraction of the stealer's quote.
However, my Mitsu experience is nil, so googled my way to this site. After reading various forums, threads, faq, etc., I have more questions than when I started, so I'll go back to her for more specifics of her car. In them meantime, Questions:
1) Can you refer me to DIY break and fix forums that specialize in turbo work?
2) Are there general/introductory technical sites for the older model Eclipse?

Thanks much for any help, and I look forward to tapping into the accumulated knowledge on this board.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Recs for diy & general info?

um no! just go to slowboy racing or forced performance. you can get a 16g for like $500. then just replace it your self, clubdsm.com is a good site to go tohttp://www.vfaq.com/

Old 12-28-2004, 01:29 AM

The turbo replacement is pretty much self-explainitory.

Where do you live?

Old 12-28-2004, 02:50 AM

The dealer is definately trying to soak you. You should be able to replace the turbo yourself. It's pretty easy just unbolting some oil lines unbolting the turbo and slamming a new one on like the 16g suggested above or if you wanted you could even get the orignal one rebuilt. I would suggest having a professional do that though. It just depends one how she uses the car and if she's interrested in the performance benefit of the bigger turbo.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:40 PM

A rebuilt 14b done PROPERLY is enough for even most enthusiast. You can go bigger though but expect that money to be spent eventually on fuel and other parts if you choose to go that route. Otherwise get the 14B rebuilt/upgraded and be done with it.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Default I'm in the SF Bay Area

I'm in Silicon Valley. The car's at her place nearby. There's a lot of Mitsus in the area, so I can probably find an independent, but bench rate runs $90 - $125 / hr, and they (my brother and sister-in-law) are strapped for cash. Also, the search for a competent, trustworthy, affordable mechanic is a long process, in my experience.
Sounds like I could do it for them, but I've got a full schedule. Fortunately, they got her a replacement car, so there's no hurry. Gives me time to research and let them talk me into doing it for them.
Don't know why you asked where I live, but if you have any alternate repair ideas, I'm all ears.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Default RE: I'm in the SF Bay Area

Because there are always DSM guys that are local and will help for a minimal rate.

and

If you were anywere close to me I would have helped you out first hand.

If you have AIM give me a shout at ch72479 I can point you in a good direction for great DIY's and Tons of people that might be local enough to help you.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:09 PM

Yea, don't waste that money at the dealer, just get it rebuilt or get another one and slap it on yourself.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:57 AM

Might I suggest the purchase of a Haynes Manual. They are worth every bit of the $15.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:00 PM

Yea, almost forgot about that, lol. That's a must but if you can find them I like the chilton's a lot better.

Quick Reply: Recs for diy & general info?