2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Replacing the Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Default Replacing the Clutch

Hey, pllleasse only answer this if u r absoloutely sure, K? Well.. I need to know what kinda tools and jacks (besides transmission jack) what i will need. If you have any good web sites to where I can look at some hints on how to replace the clutch and drop the transmission, tell me =) Thank Yaz!! Sabrina***

Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Replacing the Clutch

All right first you're going to need a metric socket set, rachets, metric open end box wrench set, screwdrivers, Transmission jack, floor jacks (I'd actually recommend taking the car somewhere to get it done if you don't know how as it is MUCH easier to do this on a lift), Possibly need impact gun and sockets, bearing alignment tool for your specific car/transmission, and probably various other small tools. Again if you're not sure what you're doing it's going to be to your benefit to either find a friend that DOES to help OR have a shop do it.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:15 PM

Thats so true.... ive helped change the clutch in a fwd bretta and it was a b!@#h! had to drop the subframe and move the motor... it just sucked! And took way to long to do....

Old 11-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah if I'm not mistaken you have to remove BOTH halfshafts remove the subframe and take off at least 1 or 2 motor mounts. FWD cars DUCK to do a clutch on SEVERELY and it's worse if you're doin it in a driveway cuz you can't hardly SEE shyt due to the fact that you're in a confined space instead of the mass room a lift will give you. Now if you were military you'd have access to the hobby shop which has lifts (I LOVED that place $1 a day to use a bay).

Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 PM

must be nice did it in a grage on concrete with nothing but a trouble light to see what we were doing....

Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly that's a PAIN to do. That's why I recommend the garage do it.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:41 PM

And if you screw it up only you can be blamed but if the garage screws it up they should pay for it to be fixed right.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly. Something THAT big you DEFINATELY want SOMEONE to be held accountable instead of yourself if something goes wrong. remember that not only do you have to replace the clutch but there are adjustments that need made as well.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:32 AM

you need to get the right tools, get a shop manual, and dont forget to get the flywheel resurfaced and replace the throwout bearing with a fresh one

Old 11-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Yep all that and a bag of chips... lol Seriously though it's not something to do unsupervized the first time you do it.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Clutch