2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Rockers Tappin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Default Rockers Tappin?

Anyone come across this problem of rockers tappin on cold start ups. Is this a sign of something or is it just age. My car is a 97' GSX with 136k on the clock. Runs supreme and love the car. But just wanted to know if anyone else has this going on and maybe knows what I can do to fix it?[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rockers Tappin?

yea that is common on these cars, its really nothing to worry about. Just keep up on the oil changes and you'll be fine

Old 03-18-2006, 06:33 PM

I am the second owner of this one and it has had AMS Synthedic its whole life. Oil looks as new when it comes out as it went in. I am next going to have the injectors cleaned. Don't think they ever were. Hope to get some better gas mileage out of it.... Thanks

Old 03-19-2006, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

An injector cleaning can't hurt that's for sure. Also make sure you change the PCV valve every 30K miles. (PCV valve getting clogged or old is the #1 cause for a valve cover gasket to blow). As for the tap... Consider doing an engine flush as well. Basically it's a specially designed cleaner (Mostly consisting of kerosene) that you add to the oil and let the car run at an idle for 5 minutes before doing an oil change. It'll help clean out any oil sludge deposits inside.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:48 PM

a knock or tick can also be Valve Stem Seals which do wear after awhile and with as many miles as there are on your car a refresh on your head wouldnt be a bad idea, check the valve seats and clean up or replace valves, ofcourse you will need to replace the head gasket after pulling the head. its not that costly if you can do it yourself so dont be scared if it sounds like alot, valve seals $30 and head gasket $90 if you own a good repair manual its a good weekend project, heck while you have the head off replace the cams(HKS 272s are nice )

Old 03-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: domestickilla

a knock or tick can also be Valve Stem Seals which do wear after awhile and with as many miles as there are on your car a refresh on your head wouldnt be a bad idea, check the valve seats and clean up or replace valves, ofcourse you will need to replace the head gasket after pulling the head. its not that costly if you can do it yourself so dont be scared if it sounds like alot, valve seals $30 and head gasket $90 if you own a good repair manual its a good weekend project, heck while you have the head off replace the cams(HKS 272s are nice )
man he is asking how to get rid of a noise not how to make his car able to handle 30psi [:@]. So why tell him to get cams

Old 03-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

LOL For the same eason that I ask what I can do while I have my VC off. Though I also plan on doing a bit to the car afterwards. But WI never said he was going for performnce so that really doesn't matter.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:49 PM

if the head is apart upgrading is easy but it is NOT cheap. and If you cant do it yourself then forget it.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

A cam is easy enough to do yourself. Anything more I'd say go to a shop for... And nothing is gonna be cheap. The cheap stuff are all bolt ons.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

A cam is easy enough to do yourself. Anything more I'd say go to a shop for... And nothing is gonna be cheap. The cheap stuff are all bolt ons.
Cams are not cheap and area good idea to have tuned when installed and with out basic knowledge and trust in yourself I would say do a cam install if you screw up your in the whole kinda deep with a head rebuild