2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Running RICH

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Default Running RICH

I recently had an apexi safc2 fuel management system installed on my car. Everything was working fine and the air/fuel was around 12. Yesterday, i put back on the connection to my BOV that makes it vent to the atmosphere instead of going back to the intake. By doing this, the car is running extremely rich at all rpm's. I know that when you vent to the atmosphere you run rich for the instant where the BOV releases but I'm running rich all the time now! I tried to adjust the safc but it seems to do nothing. Anybody have any experiece with these tools?

thanks for the help

Old 11-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Default RE: Running RICH

That's just the effects of venting incorrectly bud. Check for leaks, use a boost leak tester. Do you have a boost gauge that goes into hg? If you do, what is the hg reading at idle? Another thing, do you have the stock 2G bov? If so, that might be your leak, they are leaky bovs. If you're not ready to upgrade you UICP yet, you can get an EVO IX BOV which is just like the 2G but it's metal instead of plastic and holds boost better than the plastic one.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:11 PM

the bov is a GReddy Type-RS and I have IC piping for the stock IC. When they hooked up the safc they guys said I had no leaks and everything looks fine. Maybe the intake inlet that I plugged is leaking? Do you know if they sell any plugs for it?

Old 11-12-2006, 08:33 PM

If it was leaking, you would be running leaner because you'd be getting more air into the system than what the computer can see and compensate for. I don't know if plugs are sold specifically for it, but I have seen them capped off.
It's your car, but you should really recirc your bov...remember, it didn't start doing this until you removed the recirc tube.
If you want to stop it from running rich, get a GM MAF and the translator and run it blow through. Then you can have the "sound" performance that you're looking for

Old 11-12-2006, 10:26 PM

You should be running a 12 anything AFR on pump gas anyways man.... your tune should be around 11.0-11.5 area on pump the 12 AFRs are for race gas and meth users preferably. at least I wouldnt... I ran 11.8 on 103 octane leaded fuel but that is the leanest I will go unless of course I am not at WOT then the AFR is all over

Old 11-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

If it was leaking, you would be running leaner because you'd be getting more air into the system than what the computer can see and compensate for.
i thought it would be the other way because the air would be getting metered then getting leaked into the air so the enginen would be getting less air. Correct me if im wrong. And my opinion on this is just recirc.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

If it was leaking, you would be running leaner because you'd be getting more air into the system than what the computer can see and compensate for.
i thought it would be the other way because the air would be getting metered then getting leaked into the air so the enginen would be getting less air. Correct me if im wrong. And my opinion on this is just recirc.

If it was leaking, you would be running leaner because you'd be getting more air into the system than what the computer can't see and compensate for.
Sorry about that, I was typing too fast and forgot the ('t). I meant "can't". ****edit**** The bov dump tube is after the MAS, if it was leaking or sucking in air, it would be sucking in more than what's being metered. For example, instead of 1 part air and 1 part fuel, the chamber will have 2 parts air and 1 part fuel, so it will be lean. Does that make more sense? Numbers are obviously made up to show an example.
To the OP.
Venting to atmos, causes metered air to leave the intake. The computer has already accounted for that air and will put fuel in as if the air was there. But since the air was vented out into the atmos, you have taken away that air that is "supposed" to be there and fuel is still being add like it was. The computer is working it's job. You've now just lost some HP because you're running rich.

Recirc the bov back. It was running just fine before you vented. It's the obvious choice isn't it?

Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

just recirc