2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

running rich??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Default running rich??

I have a 97 eclipse gst w/a couple modsand i just had a stock rebuild done and when the car idles i can see white smoke coming from the exhaust. It has a strongcarbon mixed with oil smell to it and i was wondering if this means im running rich or maybe lean?? Its not really dramatic or anything but its been worrying me. If i am running rich is there anything i can do to lean it out a little with out buying some sort of engine management?? Maybe jump down to 89 octane instead of 93??? I dont know if that would lean it out just a suggestion...In the rebuild they replaced the rings and vavle seals w/guides so i know it can be that. Any input would be sweet!

My enginemods.
turbo back exhust/ no cat
IC hard piping
HKS ssqv
ACT 2100
underdrive crank pulley
MBC set to 15 psi
MSD 8.5 wires

Old 01-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Default RE: running rich??

do NOT take the octane down!!!!!!!! ever!!!!! lol just so it's clear lol if it's white w/ a lil bit of oil smell its possible it may have a blown head gasket, if it were running rich the smoke would be black. check your coolant level, check your oil, if the oil has any kind of milky tint to it at all, you most likely need a new head gasket. as for some kind of cheap management, you can get a SAFCII and street tune it yourself as long as you have a wideband, my friend in his mazda 6 (on mustang dyno) was running about 181whp, after tuning was at 195 withing safe heat lmiits. if you have some extra dough you may want to invest into a real piggy back like Greddy E-Manage, you can pick up a system on ebay for like 150-200 bucks now and buy it new for about 250-300, but the extra dough is needed for tuning, you can street tune it urself but for max performance, dynotuning is recomended.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

RC's pretty much got it there. Although if the smoke is white you're likely burning coolant which would also lend to the gas fumes as the coolant entering the cylinder is preventing a clean burn. If it has a blueish tint to the smoke, you're likely burning oil. Either one of these is indicative of a blown head gasket. Check your oil level and check the oil for white milky stuff, check your coolant level and check the coolant for oil droplets floating on the top, and if you have access to one or know a shop that will do it, have an exhaust gas test on the coolant done. (Basically they hook a tool up to the radiator fill and draw air from the coolant system through 2 tubes of fluid if it changes color then there are exhaust gasses present and your head gasket is blown through to the radiator).

Old 01-25-2007, 06:35 PM

dude cmon its not a blown headgasket....it was replaced in the rebuild like 2k miles ago. White smoke can indicate it running rich...i know that for a fact. It looks like the white smoke when you start your car in the morning but all the time not a sh*t load just at idle. I know all about the SAFC II i helped my buddy hook up his. Would the mods i have possibly make it run rich??? I was just asking if there was a way to lean it out with out buying management.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:19 PM

TURN THE BOOST UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. just kidding, white smoke = coolant getting into the combustion chamber which means a blown head gasket. who rebuilt the motor??? a head gaket can go at anytime, i have a friend who had one blow within 100 miles becasue of loose headbolts. ( which he blamed his father for doing).

Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

White smoke is NOT running rich. Black exhaust is running rich. And if you know so much WHY are you asking US??? We're giving YOU honest opinions on what the problem is and you're going to throw the BS flag? Well then don't believe me, don't bother getting your engine checked, lean out the mixture (which is probably right where it needs to be), run the engine lean and burn a hole in every piston in that engine and when you ask what went wrong I'll tell you the EXACT same thing. You blew your head gasket. I suggest if you're running a stock setup and you think you're running rich FIND OUT WHY. Don't stick an engine management system in there and think it'll cure your problem. There's a REASON you are running rich (Which I doubt you are) and it likely has something to do with the O2 sensor either having a bad connection or being bad altogether. Still don't believe me? That's fine. This is teh last bit of advice I'll provide if you're going to try to **** in my wheaties when you obviously don't know shyt about shyt.

As a side note 93clipse is EXACTLY right. You had the rebuild done 2K ago? Did you BOTHER to retorque the head bolts? In the rebuild were the head bolts even replaced? Hell were they even looked at and examined one at a time to ensure they weren't overstressed and in need of replacement? I'm betting not. Well when you figure all this out and have a good answer MAYBE I'll consider giving my input again. I try to help but you don't want it so to you sir I say good day.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 PM

well hey dude, if you know for sure that white smoke can be running rich than... hey get a SAFCII and lean the hell out of it, hope that helps.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM

Sang for the win.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

White smoke is NOT running rich. Black exhaust is running rich. And if you know so much WHY are you asking US??? We're giving YOU honest opinions on what the problem is and you're going to throw the BS flag? Well then don't believe me, don't bother getting your engine checked, lean out the mixture (which is probably right where it needs to be), run the engine lean and burn a hole in every piston in that engine and when you ask what went wrong I'll tell you the EXACT same thing. You blew your head gasket. I suggest if you're running a stock setup and you think you're running rich FIND OUT WHY. Don't stick an engine management system in there and think it'll cure your problem. There's a REASON you are running rich (Which I doubt you are) and it likely has something to do with the O2 sensor either having a bad connection or being bad altogether. Still don't believe me? That's fine. This is teh last bit of advice I'll provide if you're going to try to **** in my wheaties when you obviously don't know shyt about shyt.

As a side note 93clipse is EXACTLY right. You had the rebuild done 2K ago? Did you BOTHER to retorque the head bolts? In the rebuild were the head bolts even replaced? Hell were they even looked at and examined one at a time to ensure they weren't overstressed and in need of replacement? I'm betting not. Well when you figure all this out and have a good answer MAYBE I'll consider giving my input again. I try to help but you don't want it so to you sir I say good day.
sang a little rich it is a dark color but so rich the car wont run hardly will billow white. I did it in my EVO a few weeks ago my AFR on my wideband read 10.0 and I was WOT not even into boost yet and the car stumbled and white smoke came billowing out the back.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

If that were the case then that should have been stated. By reading the description there was no stumbling just blowing white smoke. No trouble running or anything of that was pointed out before I was basically told I didn't know shyt. Besides again my point is the fact that even if it's running rich there's a REASON for it and it needs fixed first. But he knows more than I do so I'm done with it all.

Quick Reply: running rich??