2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Default Sputtering

My car has developed a a bad sputter at low throttle. When it happens, the rpms are usually between 2500-3500. Even in 4th and 5th gear doing 60, it still misses. The time where it is most noticeable is when I let off the gas a little bit, and then put it back on the gas, (20%-30% throttle)it sputters and misses. My Air/Fuel gauge usually jumps from 12-13 to 17-18 when it misses, but it always idles lean, 17-18. When I let the clutch out in first gear, I have to give the gas alittle extra, like not enough is getting to the motor and it sputters very slightly. At high throttle, I havent noticed any problems. I put some Lucas Oil injector cleaner through it just in case the problem was dirty injectors. I took it to the mechanic yesterday, he said the plugs were fine, but he found a leak on the exaust manifold before the o2 sensor, fixed it but it changed nothing.

The fuel filter was changed in May, would that be a problem already?

I bought the fuel injectors used, but looked to be in good shape.

At one point, my car was run out of gas months ago. Could that damage my 190lph fuel pump?

When I took the car to Satan(Otsego Mitsubishi) months ago, I asked them to do a compression test. They told me the compression was great and then told me compression numbers (137-145) that were just above service level. Either they dont know what the compression for a turbo eclipse is, or they didnt even do the test. But if they did get those numbers, could that be causing my problem?

Old 09-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Default RE: Sputtering

You need to change your spark plugs and wiring. Basically a tune up. You're mis-firing on a cylinder, probably an end cylinder, and it'll give a mean shudder at low rpms. When the engine is spun up higher you wont feel it because the rest of the cylinders are doing enough work to isolate it. It's happened to me before...

Old 09-22-2006, 10:53 AM

you're probably right. I've checked the fuel filter, plugs, fuel pump, etc. and all were fine. I dont doubt that I have a bad spark plug or wire.

Thank you.

Right now I have stock NGK plugs and wires that I dont know the name of, Since Im getting new plugs and wires, what do you guys suggest?

Old 09-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

stock really are the best i think.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 AM

stock wires too?

Old 09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

well if you want to spend alittle less you can go to autozone and get some. I had cheap brand in my car and never had a problem with them. But from what ive heard. The factory wires will last the longest

Old 09-22-2006, 11:30 AM

alright. thanks

Old 09-23-2006, 07:38 PM

yea I had the exact problem and i changed my plugs and that solved the problem.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:05 AM

I had the same problem but also turned into mulitiple problems at the same time. Bad plugs, bad wires, really dirty injecters, and bad fuel filter.
Changed plugs, filter, wires and cleaned the injectors. Worked like a charm. Just for good measure ran Chevron Concentrated fuel injector cleaner when the tank was almost empty .
Drives like a dream. Now I got an oil leak to tangle with. Should be fun.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:28 AM

can it also be the camshaft position sensor that causes the problem? Because I have the same problem on my Eclipse 95 GS. I recently had my valve cover gasket change and after that I have the sputtering problem and the mechanic can't find the problem. I searched online and found some talk about this saying it can be spark plug, fuel filter and camshaft position sensor. What do u guys suggest?

Quick Reply: Sputtering