2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Stalling in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Default Stalling in the rain

Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but I thought I would ask.

I have a 96 Eclipse and over the last three years he has had a problem that, mostly in the winter months, whenever it rains my car doesn’t want to start. Or if it starts, it wants to shut off while driving because it's raining. Like I said it mostly happens in rainy cold weather but it's really annoying. I have taken it to get hooked up to a computer but nothing, car comes out fine. They can't find anything wrong with it. My mechanic says it probably has to do with some sensor, but unless it happens in front of him he won't be able to help me. The one interesting thing that the car does when it doesn’t want to start is that the engine light doesn’t turn on. After a few minutes of trying to start the dead car, the engine light comes on and the car starts. This is so confusing...and the worst part is that I love my car. I have spent so much money trying to figure out what it is and nothing. Even the Mitsubishi dealer could not help me.

Does anyone have this problem or can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Grace

Old 06-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stalling in the rain

do you have an aftermarket intake?

Old 06-27-2006, 12:48 PM

Oh man, that is a complicated question. I have no idea what your talking about. How can I find out?

Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 PM

you know what and where the intake manifold is? well behind the engine itself you'll see a round grey/silver thing. if you see a black tube coming off the right side of it that runs down to a big black box near your front right headlight (from where you are standing) than that is a stock intake. if it is some kind of metal looking tubing with an aftermarket filter on it than that is an aftermarket intake (aftermarket intake = more power) ANYWAYS if you have an aftermarket intake than you may possbily be getting some condensation/water into your intake which will cause it to run very poorly and even shut off... so check ur engine and let us know

Old 06-27-2006, 01:03 PM

Have you or anybody else added things to the car to get more horsepower or make it sound cool? Usually if someone does this they'll put an intake on the car which is made to suck air into the engine.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

oh bpy, this guys had this car for three years and doesnt know if he's got a cold air intake. He's in trouble . In your engine bay do you have a pipe that looks like this
Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  55.6 KB

Old 06-27-2006, 01:14 PM

It might be getting condesation in the wiring if it is having problems starting too. My friend's car always had the problem of starting in the rain and he just put new spark plug wires on, but you might also need to replace the coil pack, but I would just first try the wires since the coil pack is going to cost you about 150 bucks.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:16 PM

Nice engineer, by the way very clean engine bay quite impressed lol.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Oh its not my car. I just went and found a picture of an engine bay with a CAI

Old 06-27-2006, 01:28 PM

lol oh i know

Quick Reply: Stalling in the rain