Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   Starter removal/installation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/starter-removal-installation-2615/)

cptkid570 11-18-2004 10:35 AM

Starter removal/installation

Oh my goodness. I took a good look at my 1997 eclipse, 2.4 liter, non-turbo engine last night. What's with the position of the starter? I have absolutely no idea how I am going to get this thing out and back in. It's on the top, back side of the engine.

Does anyone have any helpful hits on how to get remove and install a starter on this? Looks really hard to get to even with the air intake removed. Do I have to remove the intake manifold?

Dans Talon 11-18-2004 11:39 AM

RE: Starter removal/installation

I don't have experience with this model but is sholud be do-able eh?

With the car on jackstands or ramps and the battery disconnected, the starter should be accessable from underneath.

You may disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold and drop the exhaust, then you should find enough room to turn a wrench and then also drop the starter out the bottom of the car ?

DT

cptkid570 11-18-2004 03:58 PM

Looks like there is a driveshaft in the way still.

Dans Talon 11-19-2004 09:47 AM

My Mitsubishi Eclipse Chliton's Book lists from 1990 to 1998.

So I looked up "Starter, removal and installation"

It gives one line which says:

"For 1995-98 2.4L engines, remove the air cleaner and air intake hose."

Thats all it gives. Thats official.

DT

cptkid570 11-19-2004 12:48 PM

hahaha - nice description. Should say "remove the air cleaner & air intake hose -- and then you might be able to see the starter you sucker!" hahaha

justin0469 12-20-2004 03:10 PM

well if ur still tryin to get it out, on my gst i just got underneath and just wiggled it around the exhaust and whatever else, just gotta pull hard to get it thru the exhaust.

DrAgOnBoY45479 12-20-2004 08:36 PM

too bad you dont have a 2.0 non-turbo... thats gotta be the easiest starter to get to i have ever seen... 2 bolts right in front of the engine and out she comes... probably a 15 min. job :D -mumbles- its still sucks not having a turbo tho -mumbles-

way2slo 12-23-2004 03:47 AM

ORIGINAL: DrAgOnBoY45479

too bad you dont have a 2.0 non-turbo... thats gotta be the easiest starter to get to i have ever seen... 2 bolts right in front of the engine and out she comes... probably a 15 min. job :D -mumbles- its still sucks not having a turbo tho -mumbles-
yeah, and with air tools...hey, could I have my starter go out? I'll trade one of my other probs...

(next time i get in, i bet it wont start or something worse will happen)