2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Storage Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Default Storage Advice

Just wondering what good practices should be taken when storing your car. I would assume dissconnecting the battery. Fresh oil change and filter. Maybe fill up the gas tank. Or can i just leave it half empty or something. Or will that allow water to collect inside and create rust. Just that i heard gas itself breaks down if it is left sitting. True or not i do not know. Should the car be on jack stand so the tire dont get flat spots?. Just some feed back since its my first time storing a car.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Default RE: Storage Advice

One good thing to do is put Sta-bil into the gas tank, because the fuel will break down or create condensation in the tank. It does the same as the fuel preservative used in 2 stroke oil/fuel mixed mower/wead eater motors, but for you car. They can be found just about anywhere.
I wouldn't put my car on jackstands either, that's a lot of weight on something that isn't made to hold it alone. There is a way or technique to storing wheels if they are not on the car.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:02 AM

LOL okay. say if you were to store your car how would you preserve ur tires. Would u just put on old used tires instead. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:12 AM

I don't store my car, so wouldn't know, lol. I never understood storing a car or wheels for the winter. To me it's a good reason to "refresh" the look of the wheels, lol. Through thick and thin is my motto with my car, lol.
Anyway, to preserve the tires? Put the stock ones back on the car and carefully stack the wheels you want preserved. Someone chime in on the stacking part. I don't think you store them with the wheels on the rubber but laying flat on each other, again, someone chime in

Old 11-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

First off get the STA bil for the gas like Silver said. As for the jackstands, I beg to differ. I think they will be perfectly fine to hold up the car. Remember the rating of the jackstands is what at least a ton each right? Just make sure you put the stands in good solid spots. Also make sure to spray the tires with a cleaner/protectant to keep the rubber moisturized and whatnot. If you have access I'd also spray them every couple of weeks. Also you may wish to flush out the coolant system and drain it. Disconnect the battery - as you already said. Other than that there isn't much else to do. At least nthing I can think of.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

a good substitute to disconnecting the battery is to get a battery tender. that will keep it on and at the same time keep it charged.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'd never heard of those before. Where can you get them Eng?

Old 11-27-2006, 07:44 PM

The only thing with battery tenders, if we're thinking the same ones, is that the storage area will need a socket to plug into. Though it's a good idea, but a WalMart/Sears battery is just as cheap nowadays

Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

The only thing with battery tenders, if we're thinking the same ones, is that the storage area will need a socket to plug into. Though it's a good idea, but a WalMart/Sears battery is just as cheap nowadays
yea you need a place to plug it in. but it definetly extends the life of the battery.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 AM

so what does it actually do, keep putting a charge on the battery? or does it charge and then discharge.

Quick Reply: Storage Advice