2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

synthetic vs regular oil????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:20 AM
Default synthetic vs regular oil????

i just bought a 97 eclipse gst and there is no oil in theengine but i need to know what should i do, would the engine get ****ed up if it was running on regular oil and i put in synthetic? cuz i know that once you go synthetic you can't go back? Ralph

Old 04-15-2007, 03:23 AM
Banned
Default RE: synthetic vs regular oil????

No it wont. Just put synthetic you will be fine.

There is NO oil in the car???

Old 04-15-2007, 03:27 AM

thanx bro!!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:29 AM
Banned

So there is no oil in the car?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

definetly go with synthetic. I always liked mobil 1

Old 04-15-2007, 02:15 PM

I have always been told once you go syn that you cant go back to reg oil. I replied that to someone that asked this question and I got rung out by like 10 people saying you can go back and forth between the 2.

I went to mobil 1's website and found that you can switch back and forth from reg to synthetic without any problems. Here is the link and the write up. This is direct from the company that makes the oil and im sure they are trying to blow up motors and lose buisness. They probly tested this myth out.

Question:

Switching From Conventional Motor Oil to Mobil 1

There seems to be confusion about how to make the switch from conventional motor to synthetic. I am a do-it-yourselfer. Could you provide instructions?

--Joe D.,Miami,FL

Answer:

The instructions are very easy to follow: Simply change the oil as you would normally. Any “confusion” is just myth. You can switch from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1 synthetic (and back again, if you want), without following any special procedures. The only exception to this is with a higher-mileage engine that has never used synthetic motor oil, or with an engine that has used conventional motor oil and been poorly maintained. In these cases, you should still follow the same basic oil-change procedures (drain the old oil, remove the old oil filter, put in new Mobil 1 and put on a new oil filter), but you should follow a regimen of one or two shortened oil-change intervals. For instance, let’s say that your regular oil change interval is 5,000 miles. If you’re switching to Mobil 1 under the circumstances mentioned above, make your next Mobil 1 oil change in 2,500 miles, your third Mobil 1 oil change 3,500 miles after that, and then follow your normal 5,000 mile oil-change interval. The reasoning behind this staggered interval is that a high-mileage engine, or one that has seen infrequent oil changes, will likely have a considerable build-up of sludge and deposits. Mobil 1 will help clean the engine as you drive, but it will have to work much harder in a very “dirty” engine, and so it is best to change the oil more frequently for those first few thousand miles. After that, you can rest assured that Mobil 1 is continuing to keep your engine running clean and well lubricated for mile after mile. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...o_Mobil_1.aspx

Old 04-15-2007, 05:06 PM

Here is everything you need to know about oil and probably don't want to know.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1534856

Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 AM

when i went from regular to synthetic oil, i did a synthetic blend to get the engine used to it, i did that for three oil changes and then did the full synthetic. since mine had high milage i didn't want to shock it.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 98eclpsrider

when i went from regular to synthetic oil, i did a synthetic blend to get the engine used to it, i did that for three oil changes and then did the full synthetic. since mine had high milage i didn't want to shock it.
This is generally the prefered way to do it.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Why is it you think that Mitsu. only uses Mobile 1? Synth. all the way. Never used anything else in any of my Mitsus.

Quick Reply: synthetic vs regular oil????