2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

A/T to M/T

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Default A/T to M/T

Ok so i havent posted here a while but i have a 300zx and im looking for a gsx cause it snows 300 inches where i live. Problem is i found an auto gsx they want to trade for my 300 and i want to tranny swap it. I know its not difficult on a 300zx but i searched a bit on here and it sounds like a b*&#h. My question is, how much truth is there to this and are my dreams going to be crushed? thanks?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Default RE: A/T to M/T

I'm a little confused. Do you want to swap the GSX or the 300zx from Auto to Manual? I’m going to assume that I’m just looking at a typo and you want to swap the GSX tranny. It’s not really an easy task on any car, and I’d hardly ever recommend that to someone who all ready owns a auto GSX, let alone someone who wants to buy one, and then convert it. Your best bet would be just find a GSX that is stick all ready.
The other thing is that if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow accumulation, a GSX is not the car for you. I see where you are coming from since they are AWD, but realistically, they are light cars who have very little ground clearance and will get the crap beat out of them if you have snow on the roads. They made those cars AWD for better traction from a performance standpoint, not a practicality one.
If you are looking for a car to get around in the snow in, go with a SUV that has not only 4-wheel drive, but traction control and ABS.
Happy hunting.

-Gregory

Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 PM

Well the thing is i hate SUVs and i love gsx's. Not to mention i was stupid enough to buy a 300zx knowing the snow we got i guess i didnt realize just how bad it is up here snow wise. Anyways i dont really care about practicality i just want somethings a *little* more practical than my 300. So im gonna still look for a gsx but thanks for the info on the tranny swap because i was under the impression that it wouldnt be a huge deal but ill just look for a manual one. Thanks a bunch!!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Its a lot work, you'll need a lot of parts to do the swap:

trans
t/c
rear
shifter assmebly
shifter cables
pedal assembly
master cylinder
slave cylinder
clutch kit
flywheel

If I missed something please add on.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 PM

ya, for the price that your gonna spend on it, your better off looking for a manual in the first place..

Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 PM

Alright im convinced. Thanks guys im glad i didnt make the deal first. hate auto

Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

I freakin HATE auto too.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:22 AM

we all do, difference is some of us actually ended up with one.....

Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 PM

haha yea like me